Lonely Kitten?

sparks17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!  I was wondering if somebody had some advice or good ideas about how to keep a kitten entertained when it's alone.

I have a 7 month-old kitten, Sophie, and I feel like she's getting lonely when I'm gone. Between my job and school, lately, I've been gone for most of the day, leaving Sophie by herself.   She stays in my bedroom when I'm not home, and has a nice variety of toys, crinkle tunnels, boxes, and a nice window view to keep her occupied while I'm away.   However, I'm noticing that she's started "crying" (meowing like a baby kitten would) whenever I walk out of the room she's in,  she's extremely affectionate when I get home (which is a little bit unusual for her), and sits in the window watching me when I leave, which is making me think she's getting lonely.

I know that getting another kitten to keep her company would be the ideal solution, but honestly, I can't afford it right now. My apartment complex charges $300 per pet, and between that an the vet bills I'd have with a new kitten, it's not really a smart financial idea for me right now.   I do make a point of giving Sophie a lot of attention and playing with her as soon as I get home, but I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions that might make it easier for Sophie when she's by herself.

Thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way to add a bird feeder out the window?  It would provide some great entertainment.  I have also heard of videos people get that they can put on the tv for the cat to watch. 

Maybe you could have someone come over during the day to play with her for a bit.

Getting another kitten is not a good idea right now.  Remember that yes the kittens might play, but cats need to be introduced to each other slowly.  This can take weeks to months to many many months.  It can be a long process.  It usually does not work to just bring a new kitten home and plop it down and hope they get along. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparks17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really like the idea of a bird feeder outside the window. I'll see if I can set one up outside for her to watch.

Also, I do try to have someone check on her on days where I'm gone for the entire day, but that isn't always an option.

And I am aware that it can take quite awhile for new cats to get used to each other. That's certainly also an important factor to consider. I voluteer with an animal rescue, and we've had plenty of dogs and cats brought back because the owners don't give them enough time to adjust. If I get to a point where I can afford another cat and decided to get one, I'd make sure that they would be properly and slowly introduced.

Thank you for your suggestions! :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are bird feeders that attach to the window with suction cups.  I have never had good luck with them, but my DH places seed on the outside sill.  The birds come to his office window and our cats love to sit and watch the birds.  No feeder necessary if you have an outside sill.  Just open the window and place a bit of seed.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They actually charge you money if you adopt a pet? I could see that with dogs, because they tend to bark a lot in apartment buildings because of the noise and people coming and going, but cats? Wow. 

If it was me, I'd ignore it and adopt another cat without telling the landlord or management company. With a cat there's very little chance they'll find out. It just seems crazy to me that they'd charge hundreds of dollars...I mean, how's that different from a security deposit you already pay?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
They actually charge you money if you adopt a pet? I could see that with dogs, because they tend to bark a lot in apartment buildings because of the noise and people coming and going, but cats? Wow. 

If it was me, I'd ignore it and adopt another cat without telling the landlord or management company. With a cat there's very little chance they'll find out. It just seems crazy to me that they'd charge hundreds of dollars...I mean, how's that different from a security deposit you already pay?
It's very common in the U.S. for landlords to charge security deposits for cats in case of damage. Some even charge extra rent every month. I'm lucky in that my pet deposit for two cats was only $100 but many landlords charge much more.

It probably isn't a good idea to have more cats than the lease allows as if the landlord discovers the cat, it might be necessary to quickly find the cat a home or risk being evicted. Having said that, I did once have three cats in an apartment that only allowed two, but I knew the landlord was a softy and sure enough he turned a blind eye. It was a real risk though and not one I'd recommend if the landlord sticks to policy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparks17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ShadowsRescue   Thanks for the tip! I'll try a bird feeder that attaches to a window!  I just hope she won't get the wrong idea and start trying to go after my pet parakeet! 

My apartment charges $300 per pet. So I already paid $300 to  keep Sophie, and if I got another one, that would be $600 for two cats, which isn't something I can afford right now. :(  While I'd love to get another kitty, it's not really a wise decision for several reasons.  The added cost isn't something I could easily afford, and I'm not sure how Sophie would be around another cat, since she's been the only kitten her entire life and was separated from her mom and litter at a young age.