Londoner's - What is going on with Heathrow Airport?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw a breaking news on CNN that British Airways has suspended all flights in and out of Heathrow - no further details.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
just read on CNN that it is because the workers are striking.... whew....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew - I hate when they put that little red breaking news on there and get you all worried and bothered for little reason!

Glad it is just a strike though.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the baggage workers are striking, so all the BA flights are grounded til tomorrow. I'm sure there's a lot of pissed-off travelers @ heathrow today!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness! My coworker just came and told me she got a bulletin from CNN that flights were grounded. I was so afraid something awful had happened!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you guys had me worried there for a minute! A strike we can handle....any more violence, NO!!!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they're also having problems with their food suppliers - people were asked to bring food on board or eat before they left! Imagine if you were in Club Class - you'd not be too pleased!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think so - I'm assuming it'll be about pay, it normally is. So it could go on for a little while. I've not actually seen the news yet, but we had a similar situation in CPH last time I visited in the summer. The height of the summer season and the baggage handlers in Kastrup airport, Copenhagen, decided to strike. They timed it really well.... the weather was fantastic and tourism here really booms around abotu then. So they caused the maximum amount of disruption possible and so the strike was over and dealth with within a couple of days. UK however...æ I don't see why people would want to go to the UK in summer when there are so many much warmer places to go!! But I'm sure we'll see soon enough.....

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard on the news this morning that it's nothing to do with BA, they are not in any dispute with their staff at all. The problem is an unrelated food company has sacked its staff, and for some reason the BA staff have striked in sympathy
I presume it's all to do with The Transport & General Workers Union - if you're a member then you look after your own, even if they work for a different company.

For once BA have done nothing wrong