Lola getting spayed -- advice?

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure what forum this belongs in but I thought I would give this one a go.

Lola is getting spayed on Tues at a local low cost clinic. I am WICKED NERVOUS.

I have so many questions, I do not even know where to begin.

Primarily, what to do when she gets home that afternoon?

We have another kitty and they are best of beds and cry if we separate them. Our apartment doesn't have a large space to separate her either outside of the bedroom and I fear because they will want each other they will tear at the carpet.

Can anyone give me the low-down on this whole deal? Any advice welcome too.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe

Primarily, what to do when she gets home that afternoon?
all of my girls were spayed @ a clinic-type place - left them in the morning, picked up that afternoon.
basically, leave her in her carrier, put the carrier in a dark room [i used the bathroom] until she shows signs of being able to get around.
she'll smell funny, so the other cat will probably hiss at her - yet another reason to keep them separated.
after she's awake enough to move around ok, i'd just put a box, food & water [unless they tell you to wait on those] in the bathroom w/her.
i talk a good game - but Java cried so much i let her out. she fell asleep on me - & peed on me in her sleep!
the clinic should give you instructions.

zarra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had my little boy neutered last Tuesday and I was nervous too. My vet does things a little differently. Blood work was required before the surgery and he had to spend the night afterward. When I picked him up the next day they went over what he can and canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t do. They only had one restriction, no stairs for 2-3 days. The first night I had him, he had a hard time jumping on the bed so I slept on the floor. Thursday he was back to normal, running around and playing.

Lola will be fine. It will take her a couple a days to be her normal self.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zarra

The first night I had him, he had a hard time jumping on the bed so I slept on the floor.
What a great Meowmy you are!!!

To the OP, all you have to do is make sure that he isn't licking the wound or being overly active for the first few days. No stairs, no jumping, no climbing, no rough and tumble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lola is spayed! Lola is spayed!

And Maddie went "on vacation" to a friend of the family's house that does not have pets to allow Lola to have time to recover sanely!

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zarra

I had my little boy neutered last Tuesday and I was nervous too. My vet does things a little differently. Blood work was required before the surgery and he had to spend the night afterward. When I picked him up the next day they went over what he can and canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t do. They only had one restriction, no stairs for 2-3 days. The first night I had him, he had a hard time jumping on the bed so I slept on the floor. Thursday he was back to normal, running around and playing.

Lola will be fine. It will take her a couple a days to be her normal self.
Lol

when our little guy came home from his neuter our other cat was hissing at him and he was very wobbly but determined to do his normal things. We had to shut him away from anything he could climb on (he was trying to climb the cat tree dizzy with an ecollar).He was crying to come out so I spent the night on the floor of our office with him

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just let Attitude out her carrier and did the same with Nuts(they were done at different times) when they got home from their surgery straight into the living room and let them be with each other. You can't keep a kitten from being a kitten so Attitude(female so she was spayed) bounced off the walls from about the moment she got home. Yes, the vet knew and just laughed and said he knew there was going to be no way to keep them from being calm and not being a kitten. Nuts(neutered) was done at a little over a year old and he moved around gingerly and seemed sore but after a few days he was back to himself. It took about 3 days, Attitude had painkillers during that time and Nuts didn't(he refuses any liquid medication, he's a pill cat.)

Taryn

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maddie comes home tomorrow and Lola is doing well... everything is running smoothly

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, everything was running smoothly until now. Maddie is home and Lola is being a little pissy pants to her. While she was gone, she was going everywhere crying for her... now... this.