Locking Gas Caps?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one after losing half full tanks twice in 1 week. Now the ltheiving little monsters are hitting the neighbors. So much for neighborhood watch!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got my car from one on my mom's friends. The car already had a locked gas cap. I always have to fight the stupid thing to get it back on. I always have to fight with it to get it off too. I'm sure it's worth it, but I find it a pain in the butt!

catsrmykids

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased a locking gas cap a couple of months ago because I thought someone had been stealing my gasoline at night when my car was parked in the driveway at my house. I have not been using near as much gas since the purchase. I would suggest purchasing a locking gas cap from the manufacturer. "Universal" gas caps will cause an emission leak on some cars. Thus, Service Engine Soon light comes on. I keep a gas cap key on the keyring with each set of keys.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This siphoning of gas reminded me of a story I heard a few years back.

This guy wanted to siphon gas from a motorhome that was at a campground while the owner was away. But he mixed up the tanks. When he put a hose down into the tank and sucked, he got a mouthful of sewage!!!! He was siphoning the septic tank and not the gas tank!!! The owners came back to find the hose sticking out of the septic tank and a very sick neighbor nearby.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

This siphoning of gas reminded me of a story I heard a few years back.

This guy wanted to siphon gas from a motorhome that was at a campground while the owner was away. But he mixed up the tanks. When he put a hose down into the tank and sucked, he got a mouthful of sewage!!!! He was siphoning the septic tank and not the gas tank!!! The owners came back to find the hose sticking out of the septic tank and a very sick neighbor nearby.
that'll show him!!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you know that if someone wants gas they can get it from underneath the car?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cougar

Good point...
I hope people don't start doing that.
We started having people drilling into gas tanks of vehicles here in Massachusetts - it started last fall after the gas prices shot up so high.

Generally, drilling into a gas tank requires tools and skill and a bit of luck, as they risk a spark from the drilling setting off an explosion in the gas tank.

I'm happy with the locking gas cap I have - good luck to someone who tries to take my gas in another method!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh I need one of these!! I'll have to read through this whole thread to see where people have bought them because I don't know anything about it. My fiance came home from work one day to my gas cap off and some rope outside the car (pretty stupid to do during daylight??). The other day I went to fill up and my cap wasn't completely on (isn't that dangerous??). I always turn it until it starts clicking. So that is 2 incidinces in my neighborhood, and that is 2 too many...though I'm not sure either time they succeeded in getting gas from me.