Local Idiomatic Expressions - Know Any? Stump Us!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Kentucky, I've had the chance to hear a few local expressions.

My favorite is from Western Pennsylvania: "You-inz" or "Yoons" etc., which means "you guys" or "you [others]"

Another biggie is eastern Kentuckians' penchant for "might could" embellished to "might could possibly be."

Know any others? Share and see if you can stump us. Cheating is easy, but it's fun to try anyway . . . .

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. It's kind of hard to tell, since I've only lived elsewhere for one year. I do know a local pronunciation that has always baffled me, heard primarily from native Coloradans from my parents' or grandparents' generations: Pee-yeb-lo. Any guesses what this refers to?
Pueblo, a city in the southern part of the state.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. It's kind of hard to tell, since I've only lived elsewhere for one year. I do know a local pronunciation that has always baffled me, heard primarily from native Coloradans from my parents' or grandparents' generations: Pee-yeb-lo. Any guesses what this refers to?
Pueblo, a city in the southern part of the state.

Margret
I'd say "poo eb lo"; it's a city in CO, if memory serves.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In California, we actually say "gnarly" as in, "He had a seriously gnarly compound fracture."

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
In Texas we are "fixing to..."

Ex: I'm fixing to go pick up my child from school.

Honestly I have never ever written that phrase so not really sure how one would "properly" spell it but we say it like fixin'

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Texas we are "fixing to..."

Ex: I'm fixing to go pick up my child from school.

Honestly I have never ever written that phrase so not really sure how one would "properly" spell it but we say it like fixin'
Maybe, I'm fixin' to go to the vet and give the cat a fixin' . . . . .

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few phrases or expressions Chicagoans lovingly refer to such as:
1 - use of the word "Da" especially by Sat. Night Live fans such as Da Cubs, Da Bears, Da Lake, etc.
2 - LSD, no not the psychedelic drug, but Lake Shore Drive, the highway that parallels Lake Michigan
3 - the L, not a letter of the alphabet, but the elevated train which runs throughout the city

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In California, we actually say "gnarly" as in, "He had a seriously gnarly compound fracture."
Everyone used to say that in the '90s :D
Across the border in Canada they say "Eh" a lot.
Haha, I've been to Canada and it's true! I thought it was an exaggeration but it sure isn't.

I know a guy who says "take and". As in "I'm going to take and go to the grocery store" or "they took and fixed the road". He didn't grow up here, I have no idea where that comes from. Googling it is hard because "take" and "and" are too common! One thing I read said that they say that in Montana but I can't vouch for the veracity of that.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH worked for a Canadian company once upon a time and they had a saying, "Bob's your uncle too." I have no idea what that means.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH worked for a Canadian company once upon a time and they had a saying, "Bob's your uncle too." I have no idea what that means.
Australians say "Bob's your uncle", meaning something like "there you have it" or "whaddaya know". Like "and Bob's your uncle, the cat was waiting for us on the porch!" I don't know if Canadians use it the same way.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know whether it's regional or not, but I remember from my childhood people saying of any very small town that "They roll up the sidewalk at sunset." I used to think that they were talking about some sort of boardwalk thing, hooked together with ropes, but in reality I believe it meant that the town was too small to have any kind of nightlife, so people just stayed at home and went to bed early.

Margret