Local Honey!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Bees just don't make honey...they pollinate.  I barely saw any honey bees last year.  I grow peppers and rely on those friends.
A few years ago, we hardly saw honey bees. And some of the flowers that we grow are specifically for honey bees because they are so important. They are big pollinators and we were a little worried. Then we started hearing about colony collapse and then we really started to worry. Without honey bees, we'd be in big trouble. Without pollination, no food....or really, really expensive food. It's as simple as that. Thankfully, the last couple of years have seen a bit of an increase in the number of bees we've been seeing. But nothing like we used to see in the back flower bed.

I think the pesicide manufacturer refuses to admit that the pesticides are the cause of colony collapse? Unless they've changed their tune.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This year we're seeing a huge increase in the number of bumblebees - they seem to have moved in to replace the honey bees. It might just be the lower than average temperatures, though.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people simply don't realize how much depends on bees getting busy and pollinating flowers. I didn't know they'd found a cause for colony collapse, but I'm not surprised to hear that pesticides are the culprit. What about the varroa mite? That was blamed too, or maybe that was a secondary thing, a double whammy for the poor bees.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stupid question here...but do the bees get to know you?  I would love to get involved in beekeeping.  Once bees sting you they die, correct?  They have a barbed stinger and when pulled out the bee dies. 
No they don't get to know you, which is why you wear the silly suit and hat and carry a smoke dispenser. :D They only live for a few months apiece, so new ones come in all the time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know they'd found a cause for colony collapse, but I'm not surprised to hear that pesticides are the culprit.
If you notice the date on the article, it's very recent. I mean, they JUST figured it out. There were all kinds of theories up until now. I hope something will be done about it now that they know.