Loading cats for transport

apnelson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today, I tried taking Rodney to get his claws trimmed. I've never had any particular problems loading him into his carrier before, but today, he's been giving me all kinds of trouble.

I think this is the first time I've tried to take him anywhere since he's taken to scratching at the TV screen, so me having to pick him up and take him away from the TV might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

Any advice? His carrier is one of the ones that opens either in front or on the top, but the top seems like it would be easier.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure it's the TV thing. My cats associate the carrier with the trip to the vet. So they give me quite an exercise every time I need to put them in there.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Top loading is easier for kitties that are frightened to go in. Try to offer a tasty meaty morsel first when you are holding your kitty and then put some of that in the crate on the towel/bed and try it that way. I have to kinda turn Perla on her side holding her legs and gently lay her in it. Works well for her, but they are all different. I have started just getting my cats acclimated to the crate without closing it or going anywhere. If you just keep the crate out on the floor by their toys, etc. they will use it as a bed or a little fort. It just desensitizes them to it a little better than just taking out that crate when a vet trip is necessary.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's no easy way to put a cat in a carrier.
I supposed to bring Ku Ku to a vet for an annual check-up this morning.
Lots of hissing, biting(Yes, got bitten really deep not just once, but twice!), scratching, rabbit-kicking...uh you name it, she used her full-force to resist me. I cornered her in, also used towel to wrap her up and all but it didn't work either.

After almost an hour of chasing, I finally had to give up.
Phoned my vet to reschedule the appointment.

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with trying to stop the "bad" association with the carrier. As i walk my not so small kitten anymore everyday, the carry bag that i use is seen as a good thing. When i get it out, Gilbert will wait at the front door waiting for his harness to be put on

It took a few weeks for him to get to this stage however. I wont go into getting him used to the harness, but for the carrier itself i spent a week just putting him inside for a couple of mins. As soon as he was in, he got a treat. I built up the time inside the carrybag with carrying the bag around inside the house.
As for getting your cat actually inside - i use the "swift all in one method" Gilbert has no problem getting in the bag ready for his walk, but when its time to come home its a different story!!! Like any teenager he gets really bad tempered when good things come to an end
The bag i use is strapped to my front, so i have to be fast and get it right first time. I use one hand to lift him behind his front legs and the other to "scoop" him up on his bottom( so his tail goes inbetween his legs) I find that this way for a few seconds at least he has very little control. He then "fizzes and pops" with sheer gallic temper for a couple of mins until he is happy to lean out of the top flap again.
Good luck - it can be done easily if you work at it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apnelson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, the timing hasn't worked out the last couple days to even try getting Rodney to the groomers, but I just heard a noise and looked over to see him sitting in his carrier.

He's just mocking me at this point. Hopefully he'll be as cooperative on Wednesday.