Loaded question about reuniting ~9 week old kitten brother and sister!

msscream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I'm new here, but I am desperate for help. Please excuse my long-winded question.
I recently got my boyfriend a kitten (from a litter of three) from a woman who lives about two towns over for his birthday. The woman said they were born February 23, we picked up a boy when he was about six weeks old and didn't realize he would be so sad alone. He is an over-active little nut ball and he loves to play, swat at things, jump on things, and dig into things constantly. This includes my boyfriend and I, especially at night. My boyfriend works 12 hour shifts so we can't have a kitty jolting from one end of the room to the other all night so we set our spare room up for him to play/sleep in at night.(equipped with food, water, litter pan, bed, TV, and a bizillion toys) The only bad part to this, he is right next door and he screams and yowls and cries all night for us! He hates being alone. I felt so horrible and people were telling me that maybe if he had another kitten to play with he would be happier alone. I seen the woman on facebook trying to get rid of the last kitten and the mother. After a few days of deliberating whether we could take care of two kittens, we decided to pick up his sister as well. We brought her home last night, they had been apart for approximately a month. She absolutely hates her brother now. She hisses and swats at him any time he comes near. She actually hisses at just about everything other than humans. (She loves cuddling me so I don't think she feels to threatened) He is a little goofball so I do not believe he realizes she does not want him hear because he repeatedly tries to play with her. He gets into his stance that he does when we dangle his toys in front of him. I know he is playing and not fighting, but she is definitely fighting while he plays with her. She hurt him and he ran, but he just goes back to play. He is a hyper little thing and i feel so bad for him. So my question is how do I get them to be alright with each other? Is there anything i can do to help the female calm down? I feel bad for both of them and now we have two kitties who don't like to sleep alone and act crazy at night. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they'll be OK in a few days, since they're so young. Girl cats do boss the males around so she's probably just establishing who's in charge :tongue2:. I would just feed them together, play with them together, give them treats together, etc. so she can see that he's not a threat. If she seems really upset, put her in another room to have some quiet time, but if she's just smacking him let them figure it out by themselves. Cats don't like change and the poor girl is in a new house away from her mama with a brother she doesn't remember, so just let her have a few days to settle in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msscream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much (: Big sigh of relief. I read online that if i introduced them too fast they would hate each other for ever :eek: 

You said basically what my boyfriend said so my worries are no more. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, with older cats you do need to be very careful and go very slow with introductions. But at that age. . .they'll be fine. I bet it won't even take 2 days before she's snuggling and playing with him :D.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You've gotten good advice, but I'd like to caution you to be patient. Some cats, even siblings, may take a long time to start liking each other. Don't be discouraged if you don't see improvements within a few days.