Loaded Question About Introducing A Second Cat..

obijkenobi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really, I think I know the answers will be all over the spectrum, but would like to hear about the experiences of the forum. Last week at this time, I lived alone in my apartment with my 2 adult cats, Scottie and Zelda. I had Scottie for almost a year. In that time, he lived with my then gf's girlfriends cat for a few months before she moved out. Scottie seemed mopey and clingy afterwards, so I thought since he was so social he needed a kitty pal, especially on the days I worked and had night class. So, I adopted Zelda from the Humane Society because she seemed especially friendly with the other cats. The first week of introduction was dicey, but after that she moved from tolerating Scottie to sleeping by him and trying to get him to play.

Sadly, I lost Scottie earlier this week. His death still stings temondously, and I noticed it has impacted Zelda. For example, she sniffs at his favorite napping spits, meows, and looks around. The pic I attached below is her laying on the bed where he liked to sleep right after she did what I described above.

So I guess my loaded question is, for those of you who have brought in a second cat after one has passed, how long did you wait? I honestly don't think Zelda would thrive as a single kitty, but I am sure there are grief/smell dynamics/etc to consider. Of course, there is also my own grief because Scottie and I had a special instant bond....

The last time I went through this was when an ex's cat died. Through circumstance, a kitty at a Petco reached at her through a cage and melted her heart. It had only been two weeks since her kitty died when she adopted this one, and it helped lifted her spirits and the spirits of the cat who was left behind, but I assume this is very atypical.

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so, so sorry you're in this position. Saying goodbye is always hard :alright::hugs::(

There are no hard and fast rules at these times. Personally, I think you and Zelda need at least a little time and space to grieve for Scottie:rbheart: Bringing a new cat in straight away removes that space, and makes a bad introduction more likely - you want to be meeting the new cat on his or her own terms, rather than seeing him or her as Not-Scottie.

Listen to your heart, and trust your instincts. When it's time, you'll know.
Do Cats Mourn?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you have lost Scottie, it's hard to get over for both you and Zelda. There is no fixed time scale before getting another cat as each grieve differently. I waited 2 months because my cat grieved so badly, they were together 15 years.
Would you consider fostering a suitable cat then if he/she and Zelda get on together then adopt. It is such a big decision so dont rush into anything. Spend as much time as you can with Zelda for now and give it plenty of thought.