Liver

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, with some fava beans and a nice chianti... *siffsiffsiffsiffsiff*

But seriously, its a common ingredient in cat food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes .. it is a highly nutritional dense item... Try not to give more than 4-5 oz a week

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
can I ask why just 4 to 5 oz. a week?

Kayenne eats F. Feast liver and chicken every day, I figure it is rich in iron, that may hold off anemia for a Felv positive kitty......

lisa

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Docs Mom

can I ask why just 4 to 5 oz. a week?
Probably depends on how you are feeding it.

Raw it can upset tummies if overdone, several times a weeks is fine

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She gets 1/2 to a full can twice a day to mix her vitamins and supplements in, along with dry Purina One... She is an active kitty, so she is not round and fluffy like some of my other kitties....

Lisa

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Docs Mom

You can feed 1 or 2 cans per day of commercial food like Fancy Feast they have already adjust certain items in it .... the 4-5 oz is either raw or slightly cooked fresh liver

chopper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought some chicken livers to simmer for my kitty and the stray. Saw another thread (toxic food items) which mentioned liver can be toxic?

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Liver isn't toxic per se. Liver is high in vitamin A, and too much vitamin A (as a fat soluble vitamin, not a water soluble vitamin that is excreted in urine when given in excess) can be toxic. The literature on the subject says that there are basically no instances of known vitamin A toxicity in a cat unless fed a diet that is almost exclusively liver: It's discussed in more detail in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/253352/safe-amount-of-vitamin-a

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Liver isn't toxic per se. Liver is high in vitamin A, and too much vitamin A (as a fat soluble vitamin, not a water soluble vitamin that is excreted in urine when given in excess) can be toxic. The literature on the subject says that there are basically no instances of known vitamin A toxicity in a cat unless fed a diet that is almost exclusively liver: It's discussed in more detail in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/253352/safe-amount-of-vitamin-a
Along those lines, I have avoided cat foods that contain Turkey Liver, as it has many times more vitamin A than Chicken Liver.