Liver Enzymes and Dental Cleaning?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest (~12) had high liver enzymes and my vet wanted to push the dental cleaning back. Her last dental cleaning was in 2018. She also may be eating slightly differently and one of the reasons why I want her to get one. She has been on Denamarin for a little over a month due to high liver enzymes. She's also on predinisolone for her asthma longterm and just started cosequin for arthritis after Oct. 27.

In the past her AST was elevated once (not sure the values) and after a dental cleaning they went and stayed down. It looks like there is more to it.

I'm waiting for the vet to call back. He did say prior they will run more tests if still high after the month on denamarin, but I was wondering if this could be a case of needing a dental that may clear it up.

Oct 27
ALT 385 (27-158)
AST 90 (16-67)
ALP 88 (12-59)

Dec. 13 (AST and ALP were not in the limited blood test they did today)
ALT 364 (12-130)

I really want to hope it is just because she needs a cleaning... words of hope and encouragement are welcomed! Also getting tight on money... so really worried about longterm health issue that needs increased vet visits to monitor, etc.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm not at all sure why the vet would feel it's a bad idea to do the dental. I personally think the exact opposite, based on the established fact that dental health is paramount to the health of the heart etc.

I kept up with my cat's dental cleanings and extractions all through his liver and kidney issues.