Live from CVC: Veterinarians can trust core vaccines for 3-year immunity

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw this article today, thought it was interesting: http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm...tegoryId=40534

The last paragraph is what I found most intriguing: "Representatives from vaccine manufacturers Merck and Merial attended Gershwin’s session and stated that their companies supported three-year duration of immunity even for their one-year core vaccine products. If an animal given a one-year vaccine develops a break in immunity within three years, the manufacturer will provide financial and technical assistance for that patient and pet owner, they said."

So that means that if your pet gets one of those diseases within 3 years after a vaccine, the company will pay for treatment? I know that heartworm preventive companies will pay for treatment but I don't think I've ever heard of a vaccine company doing the same.

I wonder how many vets will pay attention to this :tongue2:. But at least this is something to show to vets who want to argue for annual vaccines.

And I wonder if PureVax rabies vaccine will be legally recognized for 3 years if the label says 1 year.

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure about any of the other vaccines, but rabies vaccination laws usually differ from state to state (or country). In my state you can buy the rabies vac and administer it yourself, but if the animal bites someone it doesn't count as a legal vaccination and the animal must be quarantined for 10 days.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Willowy, thank you for this information and link.  I plan to show it to my vet.  Ritz *may* have had a bad reaction to his rabies vaccination last January, and my vet and I discussed shortly afterwards about whether to vaccinate her again.   (Ritz' FHS symptoms increased dramatically to the point of her being put on Prozac)

Faery raises a good point:  although the vet community and drug manufacturers may recognize the efficacy and duration of the three-year vaccinations, city/county/state laws may/are behind the times in changing their laws regarding YEARLY rabies vaccination. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Willowy, thank you for this information and link.  I plan to show it to my vet.  Ritz *may* have had a bad reaction to his rabies vaccination last January, and my vet and I discussed shortly afterwards about whether to vaccinate her again.   (Ritz' FHS symptoms increased dramatically to the point of her being put on Prozac)

Faery raises a good point:  although the vet community and drug manufacturers may recognize the efficacy and duration of the three-year vaccinations, city/county/state laws may/are behind the times in changing their laws regarding YEARLY rabies vaccination. 
and in some states  it would be more than a 10 day quarantine.   in some states it's months.  and you have to pay for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most (all?) states recognize 3-year rabies if the vet signs off on it. Counties/towns may have differing laws though.

In this state, whatever the vet signs off on is legal. So if the vet gave you a 3-year certificate for PureVax it would be recognized for all applicable purposes. BUT, I wonder if someone challenged it if it would stand up under scrutiny. Although if that article is true then maybe if they contacted Merial they would back it up for 3-year use. Hmm.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder how many vets will pay attention to this
. But at least this is something to show to vets who want to argue for annual vaccines.....
Well, if I were dealing with a Vet who did not respect my vaccination decisions...........I'd get a copy of the cat's file.........and LEAVE - permanently!

Now, if anyone else has a cogent reason for continuing to use that Vet's services - and needs a counter-argument - perhaps Dr. Gershwyn's bio might be a useful show-and-tell to justify your position (I'd say she's a tad better authority on vaccines than the average Vet!)...have a read: Laurel Gershwyn BS. DVM PhD Diplomate American College of Veterinary Microbiologists, Bacteriology, Mycology, Virology & Immunology