littler box questions

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you know I have two cats. We live in a townhouse so it's two stories. Hubby insists that one littler box upstairs is enough, but I don't know. Kiki pooped outside my bedroom door last night, not too far from her litter box. (The box was clean) I'm just glad I found it. Hubby says if they keep doing it and we can't found out which one is doing it he will kill them both.

How can I help to where they will stop doing it? I've looked all over downstairs and I really have no place to put a littler box down here. I have a dog that wouldn't stay out of it....so it would have to be covered....which seems to hold in odor more.

Help...I really don't want hubby to kill my kitties. I"m also going to see about a vet appointment to make sure they don't have any medical reason for doing it.

Should I put two boxes upstairs side by side?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, is your husband serious? If so, I think you may have more serious issues than the litter box, and should be worried about your own safety as well. Seriously.

While it's nice to have boxes on each level, do you have room on the upper level for at least one more box, preferably two more? But try to separate the boxes a bit if you possibly can - behaviorists often note that cats see boxes next to each other as just one big box, might not realize the second box is nice and clean. They don't necessary have to be huge boxes - mine two seem to like the Walmart large uncovered boxes just fine (which aren't really all that big), although I've had more expensive, larger boxes, both covered and uncovered.

Also, how often are you scooping and cleaning the box? With my two, I scoop at least twice a day (more if I happen to be home) and completely replace all the litter once a month, as well as washing the boxes with Ivory soap. I also use Cat Attract litter, as my boy has had box issues in the past.

The other thing is cleaning any accident spots with an enzyme cleaner, following instructions carefully, to make sure the odor is completely gone. And, as you noted, vet check is necessary to make sure it's not a physical issue.

But, if you're serious about your husband (and I hope not), kitties could be picking up on stress and be developing physical and behavioral issues, such as litter box avoidance, in reaction to his emotions, and your own stress reacting to him. I know it's frustrating, and all too often litter box issues lead to giving up a pet and/or euthanasia, but there are things to try, but I do worry about your husband's statement.

Good luck - my prayers for you, your husband, and your kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

First, is your husband serious? If so, I think you may have more serious issues than the litter box, and should be worried about your own safety as well. Seriously.

While it's nice to have boxes on each level, do you have room on the upper level for at least one more box, preferably two more? But try to separate the boxes a bit if you possibly can - behaviorists often note that cats see boxes next to each other as just one big box, might not realize the second box is nice and clean. They don't necessary have to be huge boxes - mine two seem to like the Walmart large uncovered boxes just fine (which aren't really all that big), although I've had more expensive, larger boxes, both covered and uncovered.

Also, how often are you scooping and cleaning the box? With my two, I scoop at least twice a day (more if I happen to be home) and completely replace all the litter once a month, as well as washing the boxes with Ivory soap. I also use Cat Attract litter, as my boy has had box issues in the past.

The other thing is cleaning any accident spots with an enzyme cleaner, following instructions carefully, to make sure the odor is completely gone. And, as you noted, vet check is necessary to make sure it's not a physical issue.

But, if you're serious about your husband (and I hope not), kitties could be picking up on stress and be developing physical and behavioral issues, such as litter box avoidance, in reaction to his emotions, and your own stress reacting to him. I know it's frustrating, and all too often litter box issues lead to giving up a pet and/or euthanasia, but there are things to try, but I do worry about your husband's statement.

Good luck - my prayers for you, your husband, and your kitties.
I don't know if he is serious. Some days I don't think so, others I'm not so sure. We are having some personal problems right now in the intimacy department and that are making him more irritable than normal. I think he was just blowing off steam, but I'd rather not take chances. If I can come up with another littler box placement I will.

The box I have is scooped 2 or 3 times a day, and all litter replaced about every 3 weeks. I clean the box with alcohol. It may be food related. I bought them some new food and at first they didn't like it, and now it's all they eat, but it seems to give them stinkier and looser stools. I'm waiting for free samples to come from The taste of the wild.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The food could be a problem and the reason for the litter box avoidance. Either one of them just can't get to the box in time, or they're trying to tell you that things are just not right. I know you'll mention it to the vet. It can be a challenge finding the food that works well going in and going out, I know. My guy was pooping out of the box when I was introducing him to wet Hills CD - vet prescribed talan (sp?) powder, an antibiotic, and I stopped giving the fish variety, and wouldn't you know, knock wood, no accidents since. I did add yet another box, though, and maybe that helped (I'm up to four walmart boxes for two cats, in three separate areas of my condo - doesn't look terrific, but hey....they're my babies).

The reason I use Ivory dish washing soap is that once I was on the phone with the Dr. Elsey people (the cat attract litter) and the rep suggested using Ivory since mine are indoor and have no contact with other cats. It doesn't carry much of an odor - some cleaners are just too harsh for our kitties' delicate little noses.

I've seen some vets suggest just using very very hot water to clean boxes, assuming there are no other health issues.

Good luck at home - tension can certainly make people say things they'd never dream of actually doing; that said, anyone who would abuse an animal, would abuse a person. Police here say there's a definite link and one reason they look carefully at animal abuse cases.

But, I know from experince how stressful litter box incidents are for both human and cat - it's hard to stay calm when you come home to an accident, but it's important if you can. Cats will even pick up anger about pooping, and then start thinking they're not supposed to poop, or have to find someplace to hide to poop - like behind the sofa.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats just like peeing in one box, and pooping in another... Also, another reason to poop outside of the box is not liking to litter itself...
I think your best bet is to add another litter box with Cat attract litter in it.
Make sure to clean the poop spots with an enzyme cleaner.

As far as having space, I am sure you have it... Now, if you want to use it, that is a completely different story. I live in a tiny one br apartment, and have 3 litter boxes... You can be creative in hiding it, but IMO having that is a whole lot better than dealing with poop on the floor and an angry husband.

You can put them somewhat close to each other, or in an adjacent room. Two of mine are next to each other (about 20, 30 in apart), and one of the is in the adjacent room. They use all three of them.
Good luck!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They need at least one more litterbox, if not two. I have a cat who will not pee/poop in the same box, and you really can't get mad at them for something that's natural to them.

It may also be that one kitty is in the box, the other has to go, and just can't wait.

I use rubbermaid tubs, 18 gallon size, cut a hole in the lid (keeps the dogs out) making a top entry litterbox. Yes, I do think it holds odors in more, so you have to be extra diligent about cleaning the box (scooping, dumping the litter, washing the box out, etc).