Little Miss Pee

pegnog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
My six year old cat started peeing outside of her litter a week ago. There was blood in her urine so we took her to the emergency vet who gave us a probiotic and done pain medication and told us it was probably cystitis. She was not herself for a few days but slowly came around and her litter habits were almost back to normal. Her last dose of probiotics and pain medication was yesterday and now this morning she is peeing on the rug and in and out of her litter box constantly. There was some blood in her urine again this morning but nothing since. It’s now the weekend and our vet is closed. Anybody have an experience like this? I don’t want her to be in pain and she doesn’t seem to be. She’s eating and drinking normally. I’m just so worried. Her urinalysis showed some casts(?) which they concluded could be kidney disease but she needs further testing next week.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give her antibiotics? That might help along with canned cat food for the moisture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pegnog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the vet give her antibiotics? That might help along with canned cat food for the moisture.

No, no antibiotics which I thought was kind of strange. I’ve been feeding her mainly wet with about ten little morsels of a dry food(she gets weird if I dont mix the two together)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you mention antibiotics to your vet? It helped my male cat when he was peeing all over.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blood in a cat's urine usually indicates a urinary tract infection. That is strange indeed that no antibiotic was given. Did your vet do a culture of the urine? Anytime I have taken a cat to the vet and they did a culture and found bacteria in it, an antibiotic was prescribed which cured the UTI and gave the cat great relief.

If I were you, I would seek out an emergency clinic. I would not wait till next week.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ER vet gave probiotics? Probiotics won't help with any type of urinary issue :dunno: All probiotics do is populate the digestive tract with good bacteria. Was any sort of urine testing done by the ER vet? A "possible cystitis" diagnosis isn't helpful.

There is info about urinary issues including cystitis here: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection Cystitis is just inflammation and antibiotics won't help with that.

I'm not sure what you could do at home oether than keep feeding canned food. If blood is in the urine, that is a concern. I would not bring the cat back to that ER vet if possible. Is there another vet ER place you could go to? If not, bring the cat back to the other place but insist on seeing a different vet if possible and insist on a full work up and urine testing to get a definite diagnosis.