Little kids are scary?!?!?!

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cousins were in town for Christmas and one of them wanted me to bring my cats over to grandmas so she could meet them. I brought Trinity and Mercury since they are my two that are generally very good around strangers and out of the house in general. Well neither of them had ever seen a little kid before and my four year old twin cousins were over there. Poor Mercury was terrified of them! Trinity wasn't so bad, she let Hayley carry her around a lot but was a little leary of the young ones. Mercury ran an hid right away though. I felt so bad for him! I have brought him over to my grandmas before and he was fine when there weren't little ones there. I guess it was just overwhelming for him because as soon as I got there, the twins were following them around going "kitty! kitty! kitty!" Is it normal for cats to be scared of little kids? I was thinking it probably has something to do with the fact that little kids tend to stomp around everywhere they go and my grandmother has hard wood floors so that probably made it even worse.

Then when it was time to leave, I had to retrieve Mercury from behind the computer desk, I got him out and then my dad and his twin brother started acting like idiots, walking towards me making a lot of noise and stuff and Merc freaked out again, tore a pretty big gash in my nose trying to get away and almost got back in his hiding spot again before I could catch him. I didn't know he would freak out like that!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for a cat to be scared of something they've never seen before. And a house full of people on Christmas would be enough to frighten any cat.

Sho used to be scared of kittens
and I know Tomas would growl and hiss at any child -likely bite if grabbed. Both run and hide from children

In the future, if you want Mercury and your other cats to get used to children you should try letting a child that has grown up with cats and knows how to behave slowly coax them out at your house. Taking cats into a busy home is asking for accidents, such as you getting scratched (I hope your father and his brother apologized), or if cornered - even bite.

Has Mercury forgiven you for the incident and shrugged it off already?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's normal for a cat to be scared of something they've never seen before. And a house full of people on Christmas would be enough to frighten any cat.

Sho used to be scared of kittens
and I know Tomas would growl and hiss at any child -likely bite if grabbed. Both run and hide from children

In the future, if you want Mercury and your other cats to get used to children you should try letting a child that has grown up with cats and knows how to behave slowly coax them out at your house. Taking cats into a busy home is asking for accidents, such as you getting scratched (I hope your father and his brother apologized), or if cornered - even bite.

Has Mercury forgiven you for the incident and shrugged it off already?
In my family, finding a kid that knows how to deal with cats is the hard part. I grew up in a dog family. I didn't know the girls were over there or I probably wouldn't have brought the cats with me. As far as the busy house goes, that has not been a problem with Trinity and Mercury. They go with me all the time to Petsmart so they are pretty used to being around a lot of people.

I don't think my dad really realized Merc would freak like he did. Dad doesn't like cats though either so he really didn't care. The only answer I got out of either of them was my uncle's comment that I should have them all declawed (which of course made me madder then I already was).

Merc forgave me of course. As soon as we got home, he was sitting on my lap and looked up at me as if to say "geez am I glad that's over mom!"

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoPrincess

They go with me all the time to Petsmart so they are pretty used to being around a lot of people.
That's amazing really. I've never had a cat that would be comfortable in a situation like that. My current cats would definitely not like it.

The only answer I got out of either of them was my uncle's comment that I should have them all declawed (which of course made me madder then I already was).
That's rude
It was their fault you got scratched.
Where I in that situation I would make some snappy comment about someone needing to be lobotomized - but I tend to get defensive when people threaten my cats.

Glad Mercury forgave you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that the only reason they tolerate Petsmart is because I started doing it really early with them. I grew up with dogs, so one of the first things I did when I got the cats was get them harnesses and start taking them places with me. I didn't really realize how wierd that was at first but I always have people tell me that their cats would never tolerate that. My cats also ride in the car sans carriers, they have those doggy seatbelts that attach to their harnesses and they get buckled in next to me

As far as my uncle was concerned, I made a comment about how maybe we should snip something of his off and I don't think he liked that too much. Of course I also went on my tangent about how it is inhumane and I am pretty sure I got laughed at for that one.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat would love Petsmart, haven't taken her though. She loves any place that has people, even the vet. Even after she got spayed, she still loved them all

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cousin brought his 11 month old daughter over to my house for a visit for Christmas. The baby just learned how to walk on her own so she took off after the cats. Two of the them hid under the bed for the rest of her visit. My third kitty had no problems with her and even allowed herself to be petted by the baby. The baby was very gentle with her just patting her side. It was really cute.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

My cat would love Petsmart, haven't taken her though. She loves any place that has people, even the vet. Even after she got spayed, she still loved them all
LOL, that is so like my Chynna! She hasn't met a person that she doesn't like or like to give nose kisses to! She would be the perfect cat for a retirement home: no lack of people lavishing attention on her!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Aunt Lotty and family got a cat when I was 9. We lived close and spent summers at their country house. Pussygirl (cat's name) had no time for me when I was little. She avoided me, but avoided me less and less the older I got.
I spent the summer when I was 18 at the country house. I had a job that required me to get up at 5:30, just the time the cat wanted to be fed and let out. She came into my bed and purred so I would get up. She was my best friend after that!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont blame the cats for not liking the kids, my kids are terrible! They bounce on them and chase them around and I really have to get after the kids to leave the cats alone! But as BooBoo has gotten older, he is so use to it now that he can sleep right through it! LOL

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As far as my uncle was concerned, I made a comment about how maybe we should snip something of his off and I don't think he liked that too much. Of course I also went on my tangent about how it is inhumane and I am pretty sure I got laughed at for that one.
Good for you! I have a young woman at work that snarled every time I mentioned my cats. She is a "dog person". I finally told her that anyone who hates cats for no reason is a complete idiot with no heart or brain. She shut up after that.

I'm sorry some of the men in your family are like that. So glad you stood up for the kits

A lot of cats are afraid of small children because they are unpredictable and move quickly.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Good for you! I have a young woman at work that snarled every time I mentioned my cats. She is a "dog person". I finally told her that anyone who hates cats for no reason is a complete idiot with no heart or brain. She shut up after that.
This made me remember a card I seen in a store several months ago (should have bought it). It had a picture of a male tabby on the front doing that half eye closed sort of arrogant look and said: " There are two types of people in the world" on the front. Inside "Cat people and idiots"

DH wouldn't let me get it because he was worried I might give the card to his dad.

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha! I have the same problem with my River. He is really scared of many things but nothing makes him freak out as much as little kids. When I adopted him they said he would get along with anyone. Apparently his foster didn't know of his phobia to little kids. He has became tolerant of my 5yrs old boy but any other kid would freak him out.

Last night we had friends over and they all have kids. I was carrying River when the smallest kid, a 2yrs old girl approached us and he got so freaked out he scratched me trying to get out of my arms and running away.

My other cat Panther she's is more tolerant of kids. She even lets the little toddler to pet her and hug her! But that's my lil' Panther! The most incredible black kitty in the world, you could be doing something that bothers her and she wouldn't hurt you back just meow and surrender herself to your will. But whenever kids are around it is always safe to supervise them closely.

I wouldn't attemp to put my River under a situation like that, I ussually build him a forte (in my closet and my bedroom) with all he needs, when we have visits. By the time everybody was gone, there were just the little girl's and her parents and the house was quieter so he got out of his refuge and allow me to baby him which he loves but I couldn't anticipate he would act like that when he saw the little girl! She was not even touching him!

I guess is just like those phobies we humans also experiment and it is really hard for someone to overcome that, it is burned in your neurological system! I wish there was something to do about it! I don't like my cats feeling threatened by anything!