Little Blood On The Stool What Could Be The Cause Help

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has very little amount of fresh red blood in his stool for every defecation. The stool is hard on the beginning of the defecation and and justlittle bit watery on the very last part with a little blood on it and the poop is brown in color. He is not having a diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, and he is not straining he only poops once a day. He is very active, has a very good appetite and doesn't seem to be lethargic. The vet also palpated him and he said he is okay. They perfomed a fecalysis and haven't found anything. They also haven't found anything on blood test. Could this be dietary? BTW, he is eating a heavy meal each meal like 3/4 of 3 oz can per meal of wet canned food he is eating 4 to 5 times or 1/2 can of 3 oz can each meal if I am feeding him 6 times a day. He is always hungry and has a big appetite. Could this be just overeating? Or is there something else? Btw he is 8 years old

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Usually a little fresh blood on their stool is a sign of constipation, and when you said his stool is hard in the beginning and a little bit watery in the end makes me think that's really the case. But you also said he is having a bowel movement every single day, which doesn't seem the case.

Indeed, it could be dietary. WHAT are you feeding him. I know it's canned food, but what brand, flavor, etc. Have you tried changing it to see if there are any changes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi What I meant by hard is the stool is normally formed and everytime he poop and he do it once a day everyday. I watched him poop he is not straining and he is defecating big amount of poop

I am feeding him fancy feast classic seafood feast, lechat mousse, lechat premium wet food, monge wet cat food. I've read fancy feast classic is ok to feed but I only have fish flavors where I lived that is why I am giving him the other two brands because those consisted most of chicken, beef, lamb, duck flavors. He don't want to eat fancy only for the whole day. That is why I am feeding him with different variety like I am feeding him fancy feast in the morning then monge in the afternoon and evening then before I sleep lechat mouse. Sometimes I am feeding him 2 hours after his first meal before lunchtime because he wants to eat again then feed him again 1 pm then 5 pm then 9 pm and orijen dry food 11:30 or 12am. Sometimes I am feeding him 5 to 6 times instead of 4 times a day because he always wants to eat. Could this be overeating? Could this be I am feeding him different brands everyday? Or 1 of these wet food is causing it? If I am feeding him monge only to see should I stick to one flavor only? Because I am feeding him different flavors and different brand everyday with 1/2 a can or 3/4 can servings every meal

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many ounces total of wet food is he getting per day? And how much dry food?

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think 10 to 12 oz if he is not eating dry food and 9-10 oz if he is eating dry food 1/4 to 1/2 cup daily. His weight is 3.45 kg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that does sound like a lot of food. When my cats just eat wet food, they can eat 9oz each per day. When they eat both wet and dry, they can eat 3oz of wet food with 1/2 cup of dry food each per day.

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok the cause could be overeating? Can some worms also cannot be detected with fecalysis? Because the vet also dewormed him now even if they didn't see anything in fecalysis

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had stools like that and the cause was a parasite. But if you've had fecal tests run, they should have caught that. Have you tried a quarter tsp of Miralax in his wet food? That will soften the stool.

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi his stool in not the same hardness when having a constipation. It's like a normal well formed and soft not hard. My cats is at the vet because he is under observation for the stool. They are now feeding him 1/2 can of 3 oz can 4 times a day but it is still the brand of food I am feeding. His stool is normal hard well formed brown color but still has a very little blood like a drop or dot only in amount. They said he wants to eat more like 3/4 of the can but they only giving him 1/2 can every meal.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's at the vet, hopefully they can figure out what is causing the blood. It sounds like it could be some type of worm or parasite. Have they checked for Giardia?

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi they haven't found anything in fecal test and he was given metronidazole which is for treatment of giardia about a week ago but there is still a little bit of blood on his poop. He was dewormed 2 days ago but they told me today he has a normal poop but still a bit blood on it. other than that there is no other symptoms. He is active, pooping once a day, doesn't vomit and has good appetite

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could gather together all the various cans of wet food and look at the labels carefully to figure out what types of fiber and/or filler combinations are within his grouping of daily food as a whole (soluble, insoluble/ fermentable or non-fermentable fibers). Maybe he is reacting to a dominance of a certain type of fiber or filler in particular. I feed a variety of foods and flavors to my cat, too, but sometimes my cat gets more constipated with a cat food that might have more pea fiber, insoluble fiber, or if a cat food maker has (sadly) stuck in any sort of cellulose as a filler, for example (also insoluble). I bring this up because your cat is pooping just once a day, but a lot each time, with a bit of blood... so I feel that if you try to decrease the amount of fiber per day in his foods, or focus more on soluble, fermentable fibers (like plain pumpkin), it might help his intestines process things better.