Littermaid 980 problems

jenny wren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.

So, I recently purchased the Littermaid from Wal-mart when it was on sale.

I tried using the World's Best Cat Litter for multiple cats in it, but it smells awful. Also, it just does not clump well.

Now I'm using what was left of my PetCo refillable clumping clay litter, but it's not scooping well.
I really want this machine to work, due to some personal health issues I have- as it would be much easier if if actually worked well.

I bought a $100 stand for it from Amazon, so I don't have to use those little flimsy plastic containers for it.

Are there any tips on helping me get this machine to work optimally? I have litter sticking to the rake, and the bottom of the box.

And the clumps aren't sticking together, so it just doesn't seem to be clean at all.
Thanks for your time!

Jenny

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Jenny. I don't use automatic littermaids so really can't comment. I have heard of these machines starting when a cat is inside the box from a friend who had one which really scared her cat and I think if you don't use the proper litter for the box it will get stuck and the motor will stop! Hoping someone will come along that actually uses one and doesn't have "hearsay" comments :lol3: to help you soon!! :wavey:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had 2 over the years; it's never gone off with a cat in it that I saw.  Our first lasted a good 6-7 years and the last only 2.  Which is why we decided not to replace it this time.  

You do need to use a good clumping litter.  We had good luck with the regular Tidy Cats litter.  We always dumped the trays and reused them several times before throwing them out.  Sometimes DH would line the receptacle tray with a plastic grocery store bag; but I don't think that worked the best either.  You might have to experiment with exactly how much litter to put in there as well.  Don't over-fill it; but don't let it get too far under the red line either.  The litter box used to be primarily DH's job; he'd check it when he took the trash out.  DH would empty the tray every other day; but check the litter level and smooth things out every day.  

Hope that helps!