Litterbox

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I’ve just got a 13 week old Devon who is litter trained, I’ve brought him home & he’s peeing & pooing outside the litter box, it’s his first day with me. I have different litter from what he’s used to.
Any suggestions as to how I can get him to start using the litter tray would be very helpful

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purchase some of the litter that he was using prior to being at your home and pour it into your litter box. Once he starts using it, you can slowly transition him to the new litter by pouring a little of the new litter under his old litter. Slowly increase the amount of the new litter and decrease the amount of the old litter day by day until he's only using the new litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly the litter is not available where I live, any other suggestions?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of litter were they using before, and what litter are you using now?

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was a pellet type, I’m using worlds best clumping litter. I forgot to say I have 3 other cats so a change just isn’t possible.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a pellet type called yesterday’s news. If you can find it set out one litterbox with it just for him. Worlds best is a corn based product and it does have an odor that he may object to. If you can’t find pellet, try a no odor non clumping litter.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help, it’s been invaluable, thank you again

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the pellet type they were using wood or pine? If yes, I would go with a pine or wood pellet litter instead of newspaper. It's not so much the shape of the litter as the smell that is important. I know Petsmart has its own pine pellet type litter called Exquisicat. It's pretty cheap, you might try it.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was wood pellet, do you think if I place him in the litter box regularly he
will get used to it without the need for a change?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was wood pellet, do you think if I place him in the litter box regularly he
will get used to it without the need for a change?
You can try it, but it may not work. Cats usually use the litter box right after they eat/drink so you could try putting him in it right after. But if it doesn't work after trying a few times I would get some wood or pine pellets. There are lots of brands that make them.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I’ll give it a try & see hoW I go

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My other concern with world's best for a kitten is that it's made of small wheat pieces. Kittens tend to eat everything and I can imagine that a kitten would eat world's best since it's technically made of food. This can lead to gastrointestinal upset. Also clumping litters are usually discouraged for kittens because they can potentially get stuck in the "you know where" and cause blockages. I would actually prefer to keep a kitten on pellets until they are an adult. There is also some clumping pellet litter. I think feline pine makes clumping pellets and so does okocat (the longhair version).