Litterbox ?

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is new to the family. We have had him two months. He has been a very good boy always using his litterbox. This AM when I woke up I noticed one very small stool on the floor a few feet away from the litterbox. I checked the litterbox and it was empty. What was found on the floor is appx. 1/4 or less of his normal bowel movement. I clean his box 2X per day and have done so since I got him. Again we have never had a problem before. Should I be concerned that this is a behavior problem? Is this something that happens once in a while? I have never had a cat before so I am not sure what to expect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been so good, I would just hate to have a problem with the litterbox. I was thinking it was something like that!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say it definitely sounds like it's been stuck to his fur and he's got a fright and jumped out the box and ran.

He's not constipated is he with just having a tiny poop?. Just it's usually been at the end of my cats poop that it's happened

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be having trouble with constipation. That's what just one hard stool says to me.

What are you feeding him? If he is on a dry diet, transition him to canned, or at least start adding some canned to his daily intake.

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
constipated. He eats a combo of wet and dry blue buffalo and drinks all the time. His bowel movements have been pretty regular also.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd write it off as a fluke if its just the once. Perhaps something super exciting happened and he jumped out mid-business.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd not be overly concerned with just one incident, especially since it's just one little piece. I would however, look into adding a bit of plain canned pumpkin to soften the stool and make them easier to pass. I am also inclined to think he may be just a bit constipated and the pumpkin will help with that as well.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by petguy78

I have a cat that is new to the family. We have had him two months. He has been a very good boy always using his litterbox. This AM when I woke up I noticed one very small stool on the floor a few feet away from the litterbox. I checked the litterbox and it was empty. What was found on the floor is appx. 1/4 or less of his normal bowel movement. I clean his box 2X per day and have done so since I got him. Again we have never had a problem before. Should I be concerned that this is a behavior problem? Is this something that happens once in a while? I have never had a cat before so I am not sure what to expect.
It sounds like a once type of thing. His previous litter habits are good. Your litter box cleaning is good. His food and water sound fine. It could have just stuck to his fur as others have suggested. I'd keep an eye on the litter box for stool irregularities but other than that, I'd just chalk it up as something that just happened. Bet he's a cutie at 2 months old.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting out 2 pans for awhile. Our one cat has a tendency (no matter how big or deep) to back herself up on the side and it ends up on the floor.

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this was a one time thing. I cleaned the litterbox 2X more today and there was stool in it. I appreciate everyones help. I'm new to having a cat - could not resist him when I saw he was in the shelter for 3 months. So I am learning how VERY DIFFERENT cats are when compared to dogs. But, my dog loves the cat
and so do we!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think this was a one time thing. I cleaned the litterbox 2X more today and there was stool in it. I appreciate everyones help. I'm new to having a cat - could not resist him when I saw he was in the shelter for 3 months. So I am learning how VERY DIFFERENT cats are when compared to dogs. But, my dog loves the cat
and so do we!!!
Thanks for the update. Yes cats are very different from dogs. And just to warn you......one cat just leads to another.
(credit Ernest Hemingway for the quote, but it's true!)

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

and so do we!!!
Thanks for telling the outcome. Dogs are quite different that cats
I have 4 indoor cats and 1 feral. I also have 2 dogs. The indoor cats and the dogs all get along but that took some effort on my part. My newest dog did not understand that the cats are not too interested in his play techniques
I'm so glad all is well.