litterbox 'thumping'

kattenyajen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this has got to be the only thing that actually annoys BF and I about our cats.

Floyd, bless his little furry heart, has this 'habit' with his literbox. Or, for that matter, ANY box such as a rubbermaid container used for laundry that he will overturn if its less than half full, take the clothes out, and then play in. Apparently it's been this way since BF brought him home as a little kitten from the humane society.

he 'thumps'.

He's not digging, or scratching. He covers his business, but before he can exit said box, he spends 30-45 minutes just slapping his paws on the sides of the box. Its. So. Loud.

The literbox is in the storage room across from our bedroom, down the hall from the livingroom (it's an apartment)

We can be watching movies and still hear it. We can be attempting to sleep and it will wake me up as I'm closer to the door and have super hearing at night. Even the gurgling of the fishtank doesn't cover it.

And now he's taught Zoe to do it too. *cries a little* Though thankfully she only does it for 10-20 min.

WHYYYY. I've never in my life encountered this, not with my old cat, not with roommates old cats, not with friends cats. Just Floyd and now Zoe.

I've tried different kinds of litter, I keep the box clean (though holy geebers do our cats like to drink water, and holy geebers do they pee a lot) I've tried different levels of filling...

We still love them to pieces but its baffling. So it suddenly occurred to me that maybe, someone, out there, has had this and found a solution??? I would LOVE to find a way to at least muffle it.

Tried taking the top off the litterbox, but YIKES. Zoe just yowled at me until I put it back, and Floyd then kicked stuff EVERYWHERE.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Switch to a non-hooded litterbox with sides that aren't super tall.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine does that too, he keeps it up and up until I get up and shoo him away, (he does it at like 3:00 in the morning) I say to him "alright you've covered it, enough". He's obsessed withh covering up everything, even though he's trying to cover it up with the plastic on the box.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's working at digging a secret tunnel!

It's just one of those weird quirks about kitties that come with the territory. Thankfully, none of my cats are this obsessive in the litter box and don't spend this much time in there.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of ours will spend 5-10 minutes trying to pull the wall into the litter box. Long, loud scratching noises on the wall at 3am are annoying! We also live in an apartment so there is no escaping the noise. But if it wasn't that, it would be something else...I wish I had an answer for you, but aside from some different types of litter boxes, there probably isn't much you can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattenyajen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha like I said, I've tried hoodless and all that happens is Zoe get's mad, and Floyd kicks sand EVERYWHERE (and I mean everywhere. Half the litter ends up on the floor, and then he thumps at the wall or anything close even louder while meowing....)

Top entry litterboxes just have him still thumping. So really I can't win haha

But good to know there ARE in fact other cat's out there who do this or close to it. It's so weird, but good to know it's not likely a case of unhappy or anything.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

awe, sounds like you have been given a special treat (ment).

Floyd sounds like a precious boy, just trying to do the right thing.

I'm sorry for you guys having to endure - and somehow I hope you are able to resolve Floyd's factitiousness ways.

Love over comes.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just have this fastidious habit. Be thankful they use the litterbox
. If they are crying and howling, I would get a urinalysis done. Could be a medical issue and after he is done with his business he stil feels like he has to go some more. Just something to watch for.