Litterbox scooping + trash = STINK

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I scoop into smaller plastic bags (the 'plastic' bags from the grocery) and immediately take them out to the big trash can. I only scoop once or twice a day, though (4 cats/5 boxes). It can get pretty ripe in the summer, but we take the power washer (what is this 'we' my boyfriend does it, lol) and clean it out.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recycle those plastic bags from the grocery store by using them. Then I tie them up and put them into the garbage.

One thiing I also do is pick through them after I unload the groceries...I pick the ones that do not have any holes in them, no matter how small.

Agreed on the cedar - it actually hurts the animals sense of smell. If you are going to use wood chips, use Aspen or Pine. aspen hardly has a scent and pine is still light compared to cedar. Cedar to a smaller animal is like us sticking our noses over the Febreeze plug ins all day.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We scoop the litter, put it in a plastic bag from the grocery store, and put it in the trash can in the garage.

By the way, we have found that all Wal-Mart bags have a hole in the bottom (safety reasons), but the Albertsons don't so those are the ones we use.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I'm just scooping I scoop it into the toilet. We use the regular Feline Pine type stuff, and it's flushable in small quantities. When I clean the box I put it into a garbage bag and take it out right away. We also have a bag of volcanic rocks hanging near the litter box to absorb order, and that thing, believe it or not, really works. I got it from Drs. Foster & Smith online.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing struck me as I read this thread - the number of plastic bags people use! An individual plastic bag every time you scoop?!

I'm thinking that cat poop would rot down pretty quickly buried in the ground, but if it's all trapped in sealed plastic bags inside other sealed bags, that's a lot of unnecessary landfilling!

I know I'm not perfect: I use WBCL (which is at least biodegradable), and the #1s go in the bin (but not double bagged) and the #2s get flushed (I know this is a risk to plumbing which many people understandably won't take).

I assume that #2s shouldn't be made into compost that goes on veg and back into humans, but can it be rotted down and used on garden plants?

What is the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of cat waste?

Bruce&Sheila

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy litter in a pail, so I have a few empty pails around. I use a garbage bag to line the pail, and then put the lid on it. When I scoop, I open the pail, dump in the waste, and seal the pail again. I have one pail next to each litter box, so it's convenient, and I only have to take the pail out every week or two when it's full (handy in a rainy place like Oregon). Because the pails are designed to seal and keep out the moisture, they do a pretty good job of keeping the smell in. The bags I use are the inexpensive 13 gallon ones designed for kitchen trash--that way the pail stays relatively clean and can be reused.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bruce&Sheila

I assume that #2s shouldn't be made into compost that goes on veg and back into humans, but can it be rotted down and used on garden plants?
I wouldn't want that in a flower bed that I or others would be digging in. By leaving it that long and putting it in soil that you would be handling at some point you increase the risk of getting toxoplamosis. Could you imagine if your's, family, or friends children decided that was a nice place to play?
And yes, I know outdoor cats would poop and pee there anyways, but not in that large of an amount.

Originally Posted by Bruce&Sheila

What is the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of cat waste?
Until we're given some option to process pet waste like human waste is, I don't think there is one.

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I buy litter in a pail, so I have a few empty pails around. I use a garbage bag to line the pail, and then put the lid on it. When I scoop, I open the pail, dump in the waste, and seal the pail again. I have one pail next to each litter box, so it's convenient, and I only have to take the pail out every week or two when it's full (handy in a rainy place like Oregon). Because the pails are designed to seal and keep out the moisture, they do a pretty good job of keeping the smell in. The bags I use are the inexpensive 13 gallon ones designed for kitchen trash--that way the pail stays relatively clean and can be reused.
Best idea yet!!!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy store brand gallon ziplock bags when they are on sale. I scoop 3 litter boxes, for three cats, and usually have two bags each week for the garbage pickup. When I change out the litter pans, I have a HUGE backyard, edged in woods, where I dump the used litter. The rain and weather seems to break it down into the soil pretty quickly.

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Get a "litter locker", I think Petmate makes it. It is like a diaper genie (if you even know what that is?
) but for cats. It will hold the stuff in a sealed plastic bag inside a container for you and won't smell. Doesn't need to be changed for two weeks! Easy, easy. I have 3 cats now. When I just had two I used litter I could flush, but with 3 I need heavy duty litter and it makes it so much easier to scoop and forget about it! Look into it....it's kinda hard to explain.....maybe someone can find the words to explain better than I can.....it's late here
I have 2 cats and use the litter locker..seems to work quite well for me!