Litterbox Oddities?

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider trying an open-topped deep/high sided litter box, or even a big Rubbermaid/Tupperware container with a big door cut into the side (not covered).  Generally a lot cheaper than a designated litter box! This will limit scatter and still allow it to be open topped.

Amelie may be scattering the litter because she is NOT going right in. I have seen cats who hate covered boxes basically stick right at the doorway and kick their litter out behind them out the door, or in a desperate desire to get out of their ASAP will fling themselves out when done and take litter with them. They do NOT want to be in there but are desperate to use the litter box so while they appear to have good habits, it also seems stressful for them.

Even BIG covered litter boxes are also often "smaller" inside in practice which turns a lot of cats off in terms of feeling confined, or if they have to pick their way through waste that has not yet been cleaned up. It really is true some cats really do NOT like covered boxes and will either refuse to use them or just have up and down habits. My own cat does not like them. When we first got her my husband wanted to try a covered box first. It was a big box for her size but still she chose the potted plant (for poop) and the down comforter (to pee on) instead. I immediately removed the cover and she has been 100% faithful to the litter box since. After watching her, I realized she likes to sit up high or sometimes perch her front paws on the side, or have her tail lifted right out of the way outside the box.  When she covers, she basically backs herself almost outside the box to get out of the way. Lots of reasons cats may not like covered boxes, even if as humans we might "prefer" them.  I have had cats that like them, but this is something that I defer to the cat on in any event. They are the ones using it! I know I prefer a comfortable bathroom myself and would not be too fond of someone making me use a confined plastic covered portable as my everyday bathroom when there are other options.  I also find uncovered boxes a lot less smelly (as do cats) since they do not trap odors (again, think of a portable potty) and it is easy enough to scoop anytime I walk by it (I have a Litter Locker so I just scoop and dump it in there).

When you are showering, can you move the boxes over away from any water spray? If you are not in there for hours, I am not sure if 5-10 minutes would be a big deal.

This is a good link, too: "The Litter Box From Your Cat's Point of View" http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update. Since my last post Harley has been wet on his hind legs once. I guess deep litter helps. Amelie still has her obsessive compulsive moments.

Me and my SO discussed the open litterbox suggestions and we are definitely going to give that a try, if these issues go on. We are a bit afraid of the possible piles of litter outside the box.

We are changing one thing at a time though, and for now the new thing is the new litter. @MServant, I am so sorry I did not make a video of the first days with the Tigerino Canada litter. I only put the new litter in one of the three boxes, mixing it with the old litter. Well, it was the only litterbox used for a couple of days. We now have 1 litterbox with old litter and 2 litterboxes with mixed old and new litter (old: Cat's Best Oko Plus, new: Tigerino Canada clumping unscented).

And now the review: I think I am more reluctant to change than my cats. For them this litter is a total hit. Maybe because of the texture, maybe it has some sort of attractant in it, but they sure love it. My prince and princesses did not use a litterbox if it had one item in it, and now they use the same one over and over again even if we did not have time to scoop. It does not track (or at least not like the other litter) and produces a very limited amount of dust. It clumps really well.

It does have some cons though:

- odor. Cat's Best Oko Plus did a wonderful job odor wise. You wouldn't have guess there are three cats (and two humans) in a one bedroom apartment. Tigerino Canada is better than most other litters I've tried, but not as good as the other litter I use.

- the poo also gets covered in litter, and although that would be a PRO for most, for me is a CON because we had some issues in the past and we made a habit of analyzing the poo (Sophie had fresh blood on her stool in august; Amelie ate a hair band once and we had to see if it comes out the other way).

- it sticks to the bottom of the litterbox and on the scoop.

I do not know yet how much it lasts. I am still in shock that the 18 kg bag of Oko Plus only lasted two weeks (and a half) this time, since we started putting more (for depth). Usually it lasted three and a half weeks.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the initial comparison with the litter @IrinaSak.  I have found the odour contrl really good but that could be because it only has to cope with one cat here.  it is significantly better when I don't mix it with the Sanicat I used to use though - I still have some of that to use up and put in in sometimes when I top up.  Mouse manages to track anything he's such a pest for leaping out of his tray so he still leaves the grey stuff on the rug  use in fromt of his tray,  but I don't think anything would stay in the box with him. 
    Glad your kitties seem to like it, I don't think there are any additives so most likely it is the soft texture and or lack of other scents putting them off.  Keep me posted on the cost comparison when you see whether it lasts.  I totally get your comment about the poop inspection issues as it does coat the poo - which is why I reckoned it managed to control the odour better than other litters I had bought.  I'm relieved Harley hasn't managed to cake his hind legs in the stuff (yet).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only cat lovers will post things about their cat's litter box habits! My youngster has OCD too, he scratches like mad to make the perfect hole, again and again, and then sometimes goes to another box to start again! He also covers my Burt's 'offerings' because Burt doesn't cover at all, which drives Casper crazy! Needless to say I have to have covered boxes and Casper still manages to throw a bunch out the front. He also LOVES to use the one near our bedroom at 3:00 in the morning, even though he never uses it during the day. He'll scratch for I swear 5 minutes and I KNOW he's laughing! 
 How do we put up with all this madness!