Litterbox ideas for cat who 'misses'?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has begun peeing at the entrance to the litterbox. From the way the clumps in the box are, it looks like whoever is doing it is going partly in & partly outside the box. I haven't been able to see who is doing it or how it's happening.

The boxes I use are 18-gallon totes with the lid off (for a feeling of roominess) and a hole cut in the side for the older cat who can't jump as easily to enter & exit the box. I have to use high-sided boxes because 2 of the 3 cats (one female, one male, both fixed) sometimes urinate by spraying the wall of the box (I've seen them do this).

I don't know if the puddle outside is a result of spraying out the entrance, or something else.

I had a rug in front of the box & have been washing it regularly & cleaning the linoleum floor underneath with enzyme solution. This isn't ideal because with a baby in the house I'm already doing a ton of laundry.

Next I tried a plastic tray under the entrance to the box, which makes cleanup easier, but then the other cats have to walk through a puddle of urine to get to the box entrance until I see & clean the puddle (the boxes are cleaned twice daily).

Would something like a puppy pad in front of the entrance to the box be helpful?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

more info: I used to just use the boxes w/o cutting a hole & didn't have any out-of-the-box trouble. I could put a stool on the outside to help the older cat get in, but then how would she get out easily?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My older guys have never had issues with getting in/out of the totes, so no help there.

Sudden urinating outside the box could be a medical issue, a puppy pad would certainly help with clean up but you are better off working out who is doing it and why

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In a multi cat households one of the ways to tell which cat is peeing is to feed fluorescein dye to one cat at a time. Their urine will then be much brighter under a black light.

Once you know which cat then rule out any medical causes. If it turns out to be behaviorial you will have to problem solve it.

Behaviorally when a cat goes nearby the litter box it indicates the cat wants to use it but something is bothering them about it - could be cleanliness of litter or pan, size or location of pan, being startled while using LB, view from LB (can I see what is coming or do I get surprised), depth of litter or type of litter, etc.

kat lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who does what you described. He doesn't step into the litter box far enough and sprays outside the entrance. A puppy pad is real helpful. As soon as you notice it's wet, then just change it.

I also have purchased some pans which go under washing machines. These are large. Put under the litter box. Can also use additional puppy pads.

I've found these to be a help.

Kat lady