litter?

sean98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys i am new to the cat world and i was wandering is there a cat litter that is better than other ones? thanks plz reply

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you will want something with odor control and clumping. Regular clay litter is smelly and very dusty. IMO there is no odor control there other than scooping constantly and even then it is smelly.

I use Tidy Cat multiple cat. It clumps very good and I honestly defy anyone to enter my house and know that there is a litter box here. There is immediate odor control and I think 24/7 odor control. I have used both and am very pleased with it.

You then use the empty pails and put a plastic bag in it and you have a disposal system also.

I know there are people who use unconventional litter such as Feline Pine (poor odor control IMO) and very hard to scoop. Some use chicken feed, I am suspect of the odor control there. Also some litters have a strong perfume odor. Now, TC does smell. However, my cats have no problem with it. It does not permiate other areas though. There are odorless litters but it's more important to me to have easy and efficient cleaning capability.

Good luck on your new kitty. Hope this helps a bit.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I use Tidy Cat multiple cat. It clumps very good and I honestly defy anyone to enter my house and know that there is a litter box here.
Tidy Cats is always my first choice and in my opinion it's the absolute best. Both the clumping kind and original kind are superb odor controllers, especially the original non-clumping kind (the packaging is yellow with red). It works so great I hate when it's unavailable!
When I can't find Tidy Cats, my 2nd choice is Arm and Hammer clumping cat litter.

However, a vet will tell you to use shredded newspaper (instead of litter) for kittens who have recently undergone surgery (Surgery like a spay) --Then after the cat's healed, you can use cat litter.

melissaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally prefer Swheat Scoop (wheat based) or World's Best (corn based)
I prefer not to use clay-based litters for a couple reasons - I find them dustier than the wheat/corn based litters, my cats spread clay litters far easier/faster than the wheat/corn based litters, and clay based litters can cause internal problems for kitty if they have a habit of licking it off their feet

Corn/Wheat based litters are more costly than clay based litters
Both clump very well and are good at controlling odour

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
World's Best is REALLY good if you only have one or two cats. I tried it but found it didn't seem to work as well with more cats than that.

Swheat Scoop is another I tried but it tracked out of the box a lot of my cats' paws. It also needed frequently complete replacements as it took on a funny mildewy kind of smell after a while if I didn't do this often. It might have been because of moisture in the air, i'm not sure.

I currently use Tidy Cat scoopable. Does a great job with odour and clumps very well.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't use clay based litters, my cats use wood pellets.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat litter is like food... Lots of options and many "correct" answers... I suggest you and your mom go to the pet store and read the labels and maybe try two different types( one should be the type the breeder is using)... This way you can determine with kitty what works for you...IMHO I would try maybe a wood pellet and a clumping type

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are using wood stove pellets for litter. Many breeders are using that now. Cheaper then clay or scoopable, less dust and little odor. Its about $5.00 for 40 lb bag.

If your cat/kitten is not used to using the pellets, then you have to switch over gradually.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I cats were inside cats, I always used Tidy Cat Multiple, clumping too. I really liked it and the cats had no problems.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you want a sphynx do not use clay litter.
I used it at shows and it makes their paws very dirty.
I like Yesterdays News.
It is pellets.
Also wood pellets from a feed store would work.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by merrytreecats

World's Best is REALLY good if you only have one or two cats. I tried it but found it didn't seem to work as well with more cats than that.

Swheat Scoop is another I tried but it tracked out of the box a lot of my cats' paws. It also needed frequently complete replacements as it took on a funny mildewy kind of smell after a while if I didn't do this often. It might have been because of moisture in the air, i'm not sure.
I use World's Best with 5 cats and think it is great, I agree on the Swheat Scoop though