Litter train my 8 week old.

Fhuuuur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I got a kitten, just yesterday to be honest and I haven't had a kitten in my life for years and years so I don't remember how this stuff works.

I have a litter box, and have been taken him to the box every 20-30 míns and/or when he wakes up or ate...

Well, since I just got him yesterday I know it's too soon to start to worry... but he didn't eat at yesterday, let alone drank... today he was going to play the same game of not eating or drinking but I have been stubborn and show him the food and water regularly. And we had a breakthrough this afternoon, when he finally gave the food a try.
I had to feed it to him to begin with, since I figured that he probably has never done this before.
Now he is eating like no tomorrow, so here is my concern.

He hasn't poop since he got here yesterday, he did pee on me, in his sleep today where he was sleeping in my chest, so he doesn't seem to have any problem there.

But, everytime I show him the litter box, he freaks out... I put him in it, but he just jumps right out again and straight to his cage, where he finds most secure... he does meow though, and he is sniffing out in the air ... and that is new, over this past just over 27 hours he's been here. But I have no idea what he is trying to tell me.... other than he needs to do his business... or something I don't know.

So... do you have any tips for me what to do? How do I get him to use the box? And is eating 4 times over the day enough for him?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens have little tummies so eating multiple times a day is normal for them. Offer the kitten as much food as he will eat. A bowl of dry food left out all day and small canned food meals when you are able to works well.

Try Kitten Attract litter: Dr. Elsey’s Kitten Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

What kind of litter box do you have? 8 week old kittens often can't get into an "adult" sized litter box. Add a step with an old giant phone book or small upside down box. Or use a lower sided box for the time being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fhuuuur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I'll look into getting a another brand of litter.... the box isn't big, and I don't think he should have any problem with getting into it, I have played with him in order to get him into it, and he did go in but freaked out and ran away 🤪