Litter Sand For Pu Surgery Cats?

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of sand is ok to use? Is litter sand made from bentonite not advisable?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I get your lingo.
The only litter I was told to use in a cat recovering from PU surgery is unscented paper pellet litter. Some people use Yesterday's News. I end up using Exquisicat from Petsmart. After the cat is fully healed with sutures removed and nothing left raw, you can move to regular litter of your choice, or go with a pH reading litter like Pretty Litter, if you're concerned about watching for UTIs. We purchased Pretty Litter and never used it. I've been using the paper litter since February because it's my boyfriend's preference to keep using it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try a paper based litter such as Yesterday's News or any other non-traditional litter such World's Best (corn cob), Blue Naturally Fresh (walnut shells), Weruva (wood and green tea), sWheat Scoop (wheat). Paper bedding for small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, etc) can also be used and may cost less for a huge bag than for a bag of paper cat litter.

You can ask the vet what he / she recommends for litter and for how long your cat needs to be on the litter until he is recovered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi the only choice I have is the bedding for small animals because I lived in Asia we only have mostly sand. Is it also ok to use clay litter on the botton then I covered it with shredded white paper on top of it? So that he can avoid contact with the sand. My cat is healed from PU but I am just worried about UTI.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Urinary tract issues aren't caused by the litter. They are typically caused by internal inflammtion of the urinary tract somwhere or cystals that form inside for some reason (urine that is too concentrated, diet, stress, etc). Most cats don't touch the litter when they pee or poop. Many just squat with their butts hovering over the litter and others spray or lift a leg. I think you would be ok using any type of litter. Cover the litter with a layer of sand or paper if you wish but you may need to regularily add more if the cat likes to dig around.