Litter Robot Refusal

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My husband and I have had the Litter Robot open air for months now and one of our three cats still refuses to use it on a regular basis. He has used it before, he just won’t do it regularly and instead has been peeing all over our basement. I have tried every trick and suggestion from the company, but I was hoping people here might have some suggestions we haven’t tried yet. I’m desperate to get all three using it and am at my wits end. Thanks so much in advance!!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just find those litter robots creepy and there is probably nothing you can do to change his mind. Just go ahead and give him a extra large regular litterbox and see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats just find those litter robots creepy and there is probably nothing you can do to change his mind. Just go ahead and give him a extra large regular litterbox and see if that helps.
I respect that, but I’m not ready to give up on him yet since I’ve seen him use it. Putting out a regular litter box would cause the other two to start using it, as well, and that would be even worse.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may not like the fact that the litter box is covered or it’s possible one of the other cats is waiting outside of the box while he's in there? Ideally there should be one litter box per cat. As Susan suggested maybe put out a litter box for the cat that doesn't like the litter robot just to see what happens. The other cats may still use the litter robot -- better than the cat peeing all over the basement.

Cats like to be clean and I'm sure he's not happy peeing outside the litter box just as I'm sure you're not happy with him peeing outside of litter box. When I had 4 cats, I had 3 litter boxes. The article below suggest more but that may be overkill. Would it hurt to have 2 of the cats use the litter robot and one regular litter box for the other cat just to keep him comfortable? :happycat:

See Web MD article link
Why Multiple Cats Need Multiple Litter Boxes | petMD

cuzpix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Move their usual litter box slowly towards where your actual litter robot is and once they start using the normal litter box next to it stop cleaning it. Make the litter robot the cleaner and better option and they will gradually move to it especially if it is the cleaner option right next to the regular litter box. You can also take a bit of the litter from their regular box and put it in the litter robot as well.

Kid Indie

Samus Aran's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Place a regular litter box next to the robot and gradually over maybe a week's time remove the regular box once he begins to use it regularly. If he continues to choose not to use the robot as others stated it may not be for him. I read somewhere certain felines dislike dome covered or electronic litter boxes. Hope you get him situated soon, best lot luck.