Litter pans.. How often to replace?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
How often do you guys replace the entire litter pan? The pan itself, not litter changes,

I replace mine once a year but wondering if I should change it more

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't change it that often, Draco...

Really it just depends on how they're going... and the quality of them in the first place.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't change it that often, Draco...
Really it just depends on how they're going... and the quality of them in the first place.
:yeah: I've replaced some after a year or two because they were scratched inside, but the ones I've got now are the same brand (Bernina) and 6 and 2 years old, respectively. They're heavy-duty plastic and are really holding up well. I steam clean them rather than use chemicals, so that might play a role.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they look like they need it, I guess, or the smell can't be removed anymore. I would feel wasteful just replacing them on a schedule without regard for condition.

If they're smelly, you can sometimes save them by scrubbing thoroughly with a mild detergent (I like dish soap), then fill it with white vinegar and let it soak for a good long time. Then do the same with a properly diluted chlorine bleach solution (of course keeping the cats away from it until washed and dried!). Then another good soapy scrub to get the bleach off, and let dry in the sun if possible. This will get most odors out of plastic.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
but the ones I've got now are the same brand (Bernina) and 6 and 2 years old, respectively. They're heavy-duty plastic and are really holding up well. I steam clean them rather than use chemicals, so that might play a role.
I googled Bernina as I have never heard or seen that type in the states. I don't use hoods but would certainly like to try one if the plastic holds up that long!! I use these from Suncast I usually replace them every one to two years because they do get scratched up. I also started using the Tall sided Sterilite clear box (105 qt.) YEP - my cats like a VERY LARGE box. :D Interesting that you use a steamer!! We just got a steamer for our floors. Never thought to try it on the litter box. :idea: :)

I also, as Willowy suggested, use the White Vinegar soak when cleaning out boxes. I let it soak for about 20 minutes. Dry and put away. I have multiple boxes that I alternate using.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This is what we've got: Europet Bernina Eco For some reason it says "corner box" there, though it isn't. What's funny is that Jamie almost always used the blue one, while Mogli will only use the red one. I don't use the flaps or filters. Jamie didn't really care whether the top was on, but Mogli is modest and only uses a covered box.

Steam cleaning the boxes is fast and gets the textured bottoms squeaky clean, so I don't have to soak them. Those boxes have had cats standing and jumping on the tops but still look like new. Jamie used to be great for breaking the tops till I got the Bernina.

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all great information. I am on to my 4th set of cats spanning about 4 decades. It is amazing to see how much better informed everyone is. My first 2 cats had one pan! And the petfood in the '70s wasn't what it is today...
My 2 new cats are grateful for all I've learned (Peter & Sophie)

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat litter
Are there any comments on the best cat litter. The corn or wheat based seem good from an environmental view and bags v light vs clay. I like clumping properties. Many choices....??!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I've had Poppy 9.5 years and only changed the litter pan last year sometime. It wasn't because it was worn but because I found a different one with a higher back.

I do keep Poppy's litter box inside a Rubbermaid container with a door cut in it because she stands up while peeing, letting some of the urine go outside the box. The Rubbermaid really needed started smelling years ago, but I couldn't find a replacement with similar dimensions. I gave it a really good cleaning and soak and had luck.

pbmaltzman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay.  I was using clay (cheap Jonny Cat), then changed to ExquisiCat clumping.  I have moved... drove over 300 miles with all 6 cats in cages in the car.  We are now settled in.  I need to get some more litter and dump and refill the boxes.  Right now I only have 4 covered boxes, but had more in the past.  At the feed store, they said that local rescues used alfalfa pellets, so I bought a 50-pound bag for a little less than $12.00.  Haven't used them yet.  Now the boxes are to the point where they need scraping/dumping/refilling,  I bought an extra new pan so that I could fill it with the pellets and see how my cats like it.  I have 2 11-month-old kittens, their almost-2-year-old mother, a 3-year-old young adult male, an 8-year-old female, and a 12-year-old female.  Yes, it was a stress on them, moving them by car and in cages, but they seem to have gotten over it.

Pam Maltzman

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pam: Wow. You are one brave woman! I have no idea how I would do it if I had to move with my cats.

You may want to add one more box - the rule of thumb is one box each and an extra for emergencies. I like the idea of one box with the new litter. It gives them a chance to decide and gives you an idea of who is using it.

If they like it, you might want to change the other boxes over slowly, just in case there's a holdout.

I use Sterlite totes for litter boxes (I have three big cats who like to fling litter and one who loves to stand and aim him butt outside the box). The high sides help keep urine from going on the floor. I wash them thoroughly with vinegar and then bleach, once a year. I keep an extra on hand to use during the process.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have moved... drove over 300 miles with all 6 cats in cages in the car.
Sorry to get a little off topic, but we will likely be moving with 4 cats and will have them in cages in the car.  We will be traveling for 3 days.  I'm just curious if you had litter boxes in their cages.  I have little boxes that would work, but two of the cats can't be loaded into crates without turning the crates up with the door facing the ceiling....which would upset the litter box.  Anyways, curious if you had little litter boxes for them. 

wcalvertfc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth1st  

Cat litter
Are there any comments on the best cat litter. The corn or wheat based seem good from an environmental view and bags v light vs clay. I like clumping properties. Many choices....??!

I'm a big fan of wheat litter.  Corn is hard on my cat's feet (they are super sensitive) and the walnut-based litter is very dusty.  The wheat litter is the most expensive, but it clumps and controls the odor well without being too dusty.  

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I've had the same pan for Mouse as I got for him when he moved in, just over 2 years ago.  The inside is starting to get a bit scratched (he likes to dig for his country 
 ) and I'd looked at replacing recently but the one we use isn't available any more. I really like it so will avoid changing until I have to. It's a Booda Roundabout.  It's round so no corners to clean and he can shuffle around to select his spot, got a very deep tray to keep in some of his enthusiastic pawfulls of litter or urine sprayed on the sides, and is a good height for my long legged/long tailed digger.  The round top also resists damage when he pounces on top of it. It doesn't smell yet but then I bleach it fairly regularly when changing the litter.  Other benefit for me is it doesn't look horrid as I've got a small apartment and the litter box is in the bedroom.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have one from all the way back in 2008 its the oddball of the litter pans lol its green and the other pans are tan recently i had to throw away my pink one don't know how but it had cracks in it i replace them as they brake or get to bad scratched that's about every 4 yrs or so will except the green one the green one served about 32 cats not kidding :/ i dont think i can throw it away it has history in it haha

recintly my 8yr old water bowl broke because are dog broke it :( oh well

sez2929

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had the same one for 2 and a half years, The plastic is a little scratched up at the bottom but it is fine. I scrub it every couple of days with a regular scrubbing brush hot water and a tiny with sensitive skin laundry powder. As long as you keep it hygienic you don't need to get a new one very often. I have a second cheap one for litter training my kittens but that's only because it has a lower rim. Don't panic, when you feel it needs replacing, replace it.