Litter Of Kittens - Tica Question

D’sGirl2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question - I acquired a TICA registered cat for a pet; I did not take papers because this cat was to be part of my family.

I also have a non TICA registered cat, again this cat was to be part of the family.

Due to some extenuating circumstances they managed to get together and have a litter of 4. I have no intention of selling this litter, and I am NOT a breeder. 2 of the kittens will be staying with me, and 2 will be moving across the street to my neighbors home.

I’ve had some unsolicited feedback recently on social media, can someone tell me if I have violated any TICA rules because of this litter? Or can get the breeder I obtained my fur baby from in trouble? I assumed since they are my family now it wasn’t TICA’s concern. But I’ve been told since one was originally registered to a breeder that breeder may be subject to penalties.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one will get in trouble with TICA because of a single accidental litter. However, you can and should take precautions to avoid this happening again, since the mother can get pregnant again very quickly after the kittens are born, even while she is still nursing them. Make sure to keep the male and female separated. Plan to neuter the male as soon as you can, spay the female when her kittens are weaned, and spay and neuter the kittens before they are old enough to breed. This is one of the reasons that a lot of breeders now spay and neuter kittens before placing them in pet homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D’sGirl2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My main concern was the flack I was getting about registered vs not registered. The litter was a godsend and came on the heels of a huge loss for my family so in a way the accident was a blessing.

Thank you again, like I mentioned I’m not a breeder so I do not know the rules

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Forums. We want pictures of all your furbabies.

Remember that the male still has sperm for - I think a month- after being neutered. So keep them separated.

D’sGirl2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom, dad and 2 of the kids

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How beautiful they all are. I'm partial to the orange. She looks a little like mine. But the black is way too cute.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Your cats, and their family, are beautiful. :catlove:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you will need to keep the male away from your female until he has been neutered from one month or until she is spayed, whichever is sooner. You should also have the kittens fixed by 4 months at the latest.

You shouldn’t be in trouble, but I’m assuming you don’t have breeding rights, so it’s important to make sure mom and kittens don’t ever reproduce again.

D’sGirl2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - we have an appointment for him already for Friday of this week.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to your and your furry family! You've gotten the information you needed, I think, so now just stick around and enjoy!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My main concern was the flack I was getting about registered vs not registered. The litter was a godsend and came on the heels of a huge loss for my family so in a way the accident was a blessing.

Thank you again, like I mentioned I’m not a breeder so I do not know the rules
The breeder is not going to get in trouble for selling a cat without breeding rights. The only issue would be that if you decided you wanted to register the kittens it wouldn't be allowed, and that would be all on you, not on the breeder.