Litter Locker update

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other rule of thumb that I use is that if I can start to see the bag and clumps through the empty bag, it's time to cut and dump. That's the only time I've torn my bag - when it was too full and the bag caught on the wheel itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

The other rule of thumb that I use is that if I can start to see the bag and clumps through the empty bag, it's time to cut and dump. That's the only time I've torn my bag - when it was too full and the bag caught on the wheel itself.
I should get more than 4 days out of it, correct? I must have gone past the invisible fill point.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just scoop into large freezer bags. Tie it shut, put it into a plastic bag and take it to the trash every few days. That's way more easy than that litter locker is. The only thing having to be cleaned this way is the cat box, and nothing else. Why make something like scooping poop so complicated?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Just scoop into large freezer bags. Tie it shut, put it into a plastic bag and take it to the trash every few days. That's way more easy than that litter locker is. The only thing having to be cleaned this way is the cat box, and nothing else. Why make something like scooping poop so complicated?
Well, if I am going to go back to using bags, I am certainly NOT going to buy and use freezer bags when I get so many plastic bags for free! My mom saves the plastic bags that newspapers come in, and I use the plastic grocery bags as well.

I bought this litter locker at a fraction of the retail cost just to TRY it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is this quite hard to see embossed graphic located underneath a piece of black tape
on the inside of the Litter Locker lid, showing where to fill it to before turning.

I guess I need to give this a second shot, this time paying attention to the FILL LINE.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We found that if we put too much in the locker each time, it would catch really fast and be impossible to turn. So we scoop daily for our three, sometimes twice a day, and often split it between 2 "turns" so it's not too full.

And as soon as it starts to get hard to turn, we cut and dump.

Definitely do give it a chance, don't fill it as much and good luck! Maybe you just had a bad bag? We swear by our litter locker

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to say...I think this thing sounds like it's too small for my 8 cats. And it would deny DH the fun of the "poopy toss". I put the bags on the back porch and has fun tossing them toward the trash dumpster...it's about 40 feet away.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

How does the Litter Locker make things more complicated? You scoop, you deposit into the locker, you turn the handle. Every 2 weeks you cut and dump the bag. I know that for me, I use less bags this way. I can take the whole 2 weeks worth of cat refuse and dump it into one plastic grocery bag vs. having to use a plastic bag every day and having them add up in the trash. It also holds odor better. I'd hate to be the garbage man having to open a trash can full of 5+ bags of cat waste which I'm sure would stink to high heaven. The litter locker bags are I think 7 layers thick which hold in odors much better.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it lasts a bit more than a week for me and my two cats, but it's for three litter boxes.

i try really hard to not fill past the line but like sarah, sometimes i have to 'flush' twice to get it all in there......

i love my litter locker...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I think I broke mine out of frustration from trying to turn the wheel! That thing requires some muscles!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

LOL I think I broke mine out of frustration from trying to turn the wheel! That thing requires some muscles!
The wheel should be really easy to turn at first. The more full it gets, the harder it is to turn. So if you were pulling a muscle trying to turn it, it's time to change the bag
It says so in the insructions...maybe not in those words though *lol*

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't read the instructions... My bf hooked it up and i just wing it... Maybe thats why i hate it!
Yeah you're supposed to dump it about every 2 weeks. I know to dump it when the handle gets really hard to turn and I know that the next time if I don't dump it, I probably won't be able to give it the full turn at all.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It doesnt even last me two weeks... Maybe a week for both cats!
How many times a day are you scooping and turning the handle? I was doing twice a day just for Reeses and it wasn't lasting more than a week either. You may be doing it too much. If you can get away with putting all the cat waste in at once each time you scoop without it being past that invisible fill line, I would only do it once a day.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is bad but I clean the box wither once everyday or once everyother day... My cats use the potty alot!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know this is bad but I clean the box wither once everyday or once everyother day... My cats use the potty alot!
How many times do you have to fill the locker up during each clean?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know whether this will help, but this is my experience with a Litter Locker used for one cat for the past 4 -5 years. I use a very fine clumping litter, and scoop the litter box twice a day. I put the clumps/feces in the Litter Locker, and give the wheel on the side a half-turn every day, meaning after every other scoop. I use scissors, rather than the "knife" in the lid, to cut the foil, and dispose of the "packaged" waste every week. One foil refill lasts about two months that way, and there's no problem with odor. However: Jamie is not a strictly indoor cat, because I take him for a walk on a leash and harness every day, and he does quite a bit of marking outdoors. He never defecates outdoors, though. I'd estimate that a refill would last about 5 or 6 weeks if he exclusively urinated in his litter box.