Litter Genie, Litter Champ or Safety 1st Simple Step Diaper Pail?

mar1na

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am moving into a new apartment where my cat's litter box is going to be in my office and I'd like to get a litter disposal system to keep the smell down.

I've been doing some research and am not sure what the major differences are between some of the things I have found and was wondering what the best option was? Has anyone used the Litter Genie, Litter Champ or  Safety 1st? I'm wondering which keeps the smell out the best and is the most economical. Safety 1st is actually for diapers but I read that a few people used it for litter and were able to use regular trash bags with it and I was wondering if this works just as well as a cat specific system like the litter genie?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the Cat Genie are you talking about the flushable litter box (http://www.catgenie.com)? I did a lot of research on the best self cleaning litter box and I went with the litter robot because it seemed to have a lot less glitches and has a lifetime guarantee. I would recommend the litter robot to anyone and it really prevents smells. 

If you are looking for a litter pail. I am using the litter champ for my new kitten's litter box (she isn;t big enough for the robot). I am pretty happy with  it and it doesn't smell if you change it every week. I am not crazy about buying special bags so if you can find a pail that uses regular garbage bags I say go with that. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mar1na

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops sorry, meant the Litter Genie not the Cat Genie. Thanks!

magdalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only have experience with the Litter Genie.  I recommend it to everyone I know.  It's sooooo nice to not have to take a little bag out to the dump twice a day.  There is no smell whatsoever!

That said, I think the secret is that the bags are double.  I can't see anything else with it that would make any difference.  It's just a plastic tube with a contraption that allows a double bag to be sealed inside.  I don't think a cat-specific system is necessary, because I imagine that diapers are every bit as stinky as cat waste.

I have read that you can hack any of these to use regular garbage bags, but I'm skeptical about the odor control, because I think it's the special bags that hold in the smell.  I would just choose the one with the cheapest refills.  If you just have one cat, you won't be spending that much on the refills.  I have three cats now, and ours last quite a while and are worth every penny.  I grab several when they are on sale, and sometimes order them when I find a good deal.  I don't have a good estimate as to how long they last, but I'm guessing about a month for my enormous young male cats.

Long story short, I don't believe there is a major difference between any of them, because they are all very simple contraptions made of plastic to hold double-walled plastic bags. 

mar1na

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you!

mar1na

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only have experience with the Litter Genie.  I recommend it to everyone I know.  It's sooooo nice to not have to take a little bag out to the dump twice a day.  There is no smell whatsoever!

That said, I think the secret is that the bags are double.  I can't see anything else with it that would make any difference.  It's just a plastic tube with a contraption that allows a double bag to be sealed inside.  I don't think a cat-specific system is necessary, because I imagine that diapers are every bit as stinky as cat waste.

I have read that you can hack any of these to use regular garbage bags, but I'm skeptical about the odor control, because I think it's the special bags that hold in the smell.  I would just choose the one with the cheapest refills.  If you just have one cat, you won't be spending that much on the refills.  I have three cats now, and ours last quite a while and are worth every penny.  I grab several when they are on sale, and sometimes order them when I find a good deal.  I don't have a good estimate as to how long they last, but I'm guessing about a month for my enormous young male cats.

Long story short, I don't believe there is a major difference between any of them, because they are all very simple contraptions made of plastic to hold double-walled plastic bags. 
Magdalena I thought this might come in handy for you, Litter Genie has a coupon out right now for $5 off a refill: http://www.littergenie.com/offer  :)

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Litter Locker II (make sure you get the 2 not the 1). I'm using it with some 10-gallon plastic office bags. I love how convenient it is, and regular garbage bags are so much cheaper than the real refills. The smell is not an issue with the thinner bags because all the cat waste is behind a plastic trap door.

jimmyandjosey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use that clumping litter and just put it in a ziplock bag and throw it in the garbage and there is absolutely no smell. And I have two cats(hench my posting name)...am I missing something?please feel free to educate me, I'm a Newby...

magdalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use that clumping litter and just put it in a ziplock bag and throw it in the garbage and there is absolutely no smell. And I have two cats(hench my posting name)...am I missing something?please feel free to educate me, I'm a Newby...
I don't think you're missing anything.  I imagine that a sealed bag would keep the smell out fine, and obviously it does.  It's just more work than I'm up for, and I think that two big ziplock bags a day would be more expensive than the refill bags for the litter disposal systems.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am moving into a new apartment where my cat's litter box is going to be in my office and I'd like to get a litter disposal system to keep the smell down.

I've been doing some research and am not sure what the major differences are between some of the things I have found and was wondering what the best option was? Has anyone used the Litter Genie, Litter Champ or  Safety 1st? I'm wondering which keeps the smell out the best and is the most economical. Safety 1st is actually for diapers but I read that a few people used it for litter and were able to use regular trash bags with it and I was wondering if this works just as well as a cat specific system like the litter genie?

Thanks for the help!
To be honest, with one cat, I never notice any offensive smell as long as I'm just scooping daily, and using clumping litter.

Clumping litter is important because you can remove the urine. In non-clumping litter, it just dissipates into the litter, and you can't really scoop it out. That all by itself can make it smell a lot more.

I do use a Litter Genie. But I don't think it has any impact on the amount of odor. After all, you're leaving the waste in the genie for several days, as opposed to throwing it out daily. I just use it because it cuts down on the number of plastic bags I throw in the trash. It's also easier. :D

The Litter Genie does a good job of keeping the smell isolated from the rest of the room, but I wouldn't say it's an "improvement" over throwing out a little bag every day, in terms of odor.

Using a regular trash bag with the Litter Genie would be very tough. I can't speak to the Safety 1st, but if you know you can do that with it, it would certainly save you money on refills. I say go for it.

EDIT: Found this, for someone who's using regular bags with the Litter Genie. I might try this. It would definitely save money!

"Granted, the refills on this guy are nothing short of preposterous in price. To that end, I am in the process of using a regular large green garbage bag, sort of like the leaf bags you use in the fall, and that works just fine. You can also use regular kitchen bags (try Glad's scented ones - those are AMAZING!!!!), as well as your regular grocery store sacks. Once your regular Genie bag is empty, save the black ring, pull up the bag around the center of it, and secure it with a rubber band. Saves you a lot of money, particularly if you're reusing grocery store bags, you're also recycling them."

http://www.amazon.com/Litter-Genie-Disposal-Odor-System/product-reviews/B0085TVBK6

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the Litter Champ....one at each end of the house.  I like the "push down" on the top better than the "pull out" handle on the other types.  We are very happy with them.  I get the bags from Amazon...if you sign up for automatic delivery for the 3-pack....they are much cheaper.  You get an email in advance of the shipment, and you can easily change it if you don't need them yet.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't use Tidy Cats litter any more but I kept one of the plastic tubs with a tight lid. I use Hefty Odor Block garbage bags and they do make a tremendous difference eliminating the odor. I tried using regular plastic grocery bags and found myself running them out to the dumpster every day, holding my nose all the way. With the odor block bags I can collect the kitty presents for a week before I notice it getting stinky.

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought the ScoopFree litter box. It was not too badly priced $155. The litter trays you can buy at PetSmart or PetCo and even online at their website. They also will deliver the litter trays to your door! 

I have read a lot of reviews on all of the different litter systems and this is the one that I found was the most realistic and positive. It took me about 5-8 minutes to set up. It is VERY self explanitory. You do have to use the company's litter. Their litter is blue and it actually turns colors when it is soiled. The litter box is set to rake every 20 minutes after the cat has been in the litter box. My little one had no problem jumping in right away and using it. I'm still letting my older one sniff it out and get used to it. I will start putting in a handful of my old litter in there tomorrow. 

Many reviews on websites (other than the company's) say that they have 2 cats and it works awesome for when you are away for a weeks holiday. Their cat sitters did not need to change the litter once. 

If you have one cat it states that a litter tray lasts about one month. If you have two then half a month. Each litter tray averages about $13.

Hope this helps!!

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ended up buy the ScoopFree litter box. So amazing!! They sell it at petsmart and I don't know how I lived without it. I'm able to go on holidays now and whoever comes to feed my furbabies don't need to worry about cleaning the litter box! For two cats I change the box every 2.5 weeks. It is dust free and mostly odor free!

rafinney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe that you are right about the secret being the bags.  I have been using a plastic container that the kitty litter came in and using store bought bags but after a few weeks of use the oder is bad and I have to take it outside to remove the bag.  I might try using 2 bags and see if that helps control the smell.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Litter Genie and love it. I also live in an apartment. There is absolutely no 'cat' smell at all. 

However, I do change the bag on the sooner rather than later side. I only have one cat, but he does a lot!! 

I also use Precious Cats litter. 

It is amazing to see how much junk is in the bag, when I pull it out.  I remove it at least once a week, sometimes every 4-5 days...

Yes, I agree that the secret is the double bag system. 

I think either the litter champ or litter genie is best for an apartment. 

junglecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Litter Genie too! I bought it about a week ago and decided to change the bag today. I dreaded doing it because I thought once I opened the container to change the bag, the odor would knock me out! But, I didn't smell anything! I'm so glad that I bought Litter Genie! [emoji]9786[/emoji] [emoji]9786[/emoji] [emoji]9786[/emoji]