Litter Boxes and Kittens

apokalypsepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My babies are 6 weeks old as of 6/13/12 and are leaving "presents" all over their room. My parents have had experiance with kittens before ( when I was between the ages of 7 and 10 we had multiple litters from a cat they never spayed) and according to them they never had this problem (earlier kittens where born in closets, inside chairs, etc. so they were in the house and quickly learned how to use the litter box).

The current batch have two litter boxes in low traffic areas (one bigger one with a step for mama and any kittens who want to use it, and a large, but lower to the ground one that they can just step into). I know they can climb, they can get onto a bed and a chair with no problems. The litter is lightly scented (same litter used for years, two cats who when adopted where kittens used it with no problems) and the litter is always clean.

When we put it in there we gently set each kitten inside it so they would know where it was and they all dug around a little. When they would go off to a corner and squat/dig, I would set them in the box. No luck with that.

They are starting to "go" closer to the box, pooping in the litter mama has kicked out. So they have the instinct, it just needs to be adjusted a little bit .

Any suggestions?

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... I have 2 litters, only 5 days apart, the first litter just turned a month on the 10th, and the others will be a month old tomorrow, most of the kittens from the first litter are using the litter box now, the other batch of kittens are learning even faster and covering their duties... I started this "for fun" last week But I started like you had, sitting them in there and showing them to dig, then later after they ate, I'd wait at least 15 mins then put them back in again and I'd dig the litter with my hand... That's really all I had to do... I'm sure your kitties will get the hang of it soon! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apokalypsepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm... I have 2 litters, only 5 days apart, the first litter just turned a month on the 10th, and the others will be a month old tomorrow, most of the kittens from the first litter are using the litter box now, the other batch of kittens are learning even faster and covering their duties... I started this "for fun" last week But I started like you had, sitting them in there and showing them to dig, then later after they ate, I'd wait at least 15 mins then put them back in again and I'd dig the litter with my hand... That's really all I had to do... I'm sure your kitties will get the hang of it soon!
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that when I get home from work.