Litter Box?

MollyTheBoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! First post here in the forum not sure if there is a certain format.

Got a cat, at least 5 yrs+, been with us for about two months so far. Previous owner gave us an open litter box and Molly seems to be fine with it. But he kicks a lot of litter out, so we decide to get him a enclosed sides one, he would use it but also pee right outside of it. At first we thought it was a used littrr box so it smelled like another cat. But we just got a new one, a big dome one with steps. He would use it, but he would pee on the step! So it seems like he would use the litter box but he would pee elsewhere almost to let us know that he doesnt like the box... any suggestion on being able to contain the litter but not have him pee outside the box? Thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two ideas: (1) put the old box on a small area blanket that you can shake out and wash from time to time -- its not pretty or elegant, but we do it, and it would likely work for you; or (2) you could also try an open litter box with higher sides than the old one.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You can lay an extra large puppy pad underneath the box. That should contain the litter. If,that doesn’t work and you have space, for around $20 you can buy a 30 inch square washer tray that has a short lip on it which will keep everything in and be easy to clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MollyTheBoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We actually tried using the blanket, etc too. It works with a daily cleanup, especially since he woulf walk over the towel with the kicked litter would trail more litter outside of our half bath, which is something we are trying to address. We actually tried using cardboard to corner one of the opening corner and the funny thing is, he would kick towards corners that is not covered! Like he kicks litter to corners that is not covered purposely! Does anyone know why that is, behaviorial wise?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Preference of litter boxes. He seems to like the old open top. I use a hand held shark vacuum and an old broom to collect the litter on the side. Every time I get a new litterbox or litter my cat marks her spot by standing up and going on the side or over. My old cat has arthritis so occasionally she cannot step in so she goes on a big rubber litter mat. Easy to clean and doesn't happen often.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in 90% of the stories that say "my cat pees to show discontent." My opinion is that it's out of discomfort/anxiety. Your cat doesn't seem to be comfortable with closed litter boxes, and doesn't know how to deal with where to pee. They also need space to turn around and dig then cover their business.

I got this large litter box for my two cats.
I wish I had found a bigger one, but you should try it. Worst case scenario, you sell them on Craigslist or donate them to organizations. My two kittens love the box, have space to turn around comfortably and the male even enjoys playing in it (it's fine, I clean several times a day).

I also use an area rug. It helps a great deal, and with vacuuming everyday or every other day it's all good.

Chances are, your cat shakes the litter off where you didn't put cardboard because there's more room to do so, and he feels more comfortable staying away from it.

Chill out with the "my cat is purposefully doing these annoying things." Cats are often the bad-tempered pets they're known to be because owners really don't understand them. They're sensitive, suspicious, reserved pets that need very careful and respectful attention.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in 90% of the stories that say "my cat pees to show discontent." My opinion is that it's out of discomfort/anxiety. Your cat doesn't seem to be comfortable with closed litter boxes, and doesn't know how to deal with where to pee. They also need space to turn around and dig then cover their business.

I got this large litter box for my two cats.
I wish I had found a bigger one, but you should try it. Worst case scenario, you sell them on Craigslist or donate them to organizations. My two kittens love the box, have space to turn around comfortably and the male even enjoys playing in it (it's fine, I clean several times a day).

I also use an area rug. It helps a great deal, and with vacuuming everyday or every other day it's all good.

Chances are, your cat shakes the litter off where you didn't put cardboard because there's more room to do so, and he feels more comfortable staying away from it.

Chill out with the "my cat is purposefully doing these annoying things." Cats are often the bad-tempered pets they're known to be because owners really don't understand them. They're sensitive, suspicious, reserved pets that need very careful and respectful attention.
So true!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to see the links. I bought some 70% non stick litter boxes by Petfussion. Mat is petfussion also. Litter box is mostly for cats with arthritis or kittens. Not as high up it is nonstick!

Last edited:

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with Yanaka Yanaka on your cat’s preference for uncovered box. To keep the litter contained, you can put the litter box in another container. A kiddie pool came to mind. It’s low enough that cats can get in (or you can cut an opening to make it even lower) and it is fairly easy to sweep or vacuum and wash if needed.