Litter Box Weirdness

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Out of my 8 cats, it's my only boy that does this. None of the 7 girls, just him.

He gets in the litter box, turns around and points his butt outside and poops either on the edge of or right outside the litter box! Why does he do this? Not with pee, only poop.

I have 3 Cat Genies, and they are programed to scoop, clean, rinse and dry 10 minutes after each cat uses it, so they are always clean. He doesn't do it with just one litter box, but with all 3. He always has, even with traditional litter boxes.

Is it a boy thing? Is it a black cat thing? Or is it just a weird thing?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think it's just his way of going the toilet lol :lol3:

One of my boys has to put all four feet on the edges of the litter tray to go poop, so not one foot touching the actual litter itself. He doesn't do this when peeing either just poop :D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my boys has to put all four feet on the edges of the litter tray to go poop, so not one foot touching the actual litter itself. He doesn't do this when peeing either just poop
My Noodles (girl) goes the same way. 

Normally I would suggest either more litter boxes or a tall top entry type box (think rubbermaid tote).  Some cats just dont want to poop where they pee; but I would think having a self cleaning box that would be a less likely issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Cat Genies have high side walls, and he STILL does it. Either over the lower entrance in the front, or just over the high wall. I can't imagine the position he has to get into to do that. ;-)

I can understand if the box was filthy, or even used by another cat or two right before him. But when it's freshly cleaned? I think he's doing it on purpose, just to get back at mom for not letting him get inside the Tupperware cupboard like he so wants to.... ;-)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are weird like that. Just like humans. When I use the bathroom, I can't sit. I have to squat.

There, your TMI of the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HAHAHAHAHA! Thank you for that TMI :-)

Whenever I go to the bathroom, I can't do it alone. at least 3 cats have to come in and see what I'm doing. At the front of the pack is always Duck. She'll get down of the very comfy bed from a deep sleep to make sure everything is ok in there. This has earned her the nickname of Bathroom Monitor. You're not allowed to use the facilities in my house without her approval and oversight! :-)