Litter box troubles.

beccagore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Lydia us roughly 5 months. I've been working to get her litter trained for sometime now. At first she was doing great, but the last month she has not used her box, but maybe 3 times, so I keep finding little unwanted surprises behind the couch. =/ whenever I find them I clean immediately with vinegar water. Last night my husband found one that I hadn't seen yet. *I've been working hard to keep it cleaned before he sees it. He said if it happens again she's out. So how can I get her to use her box all the time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beccagore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also forgot to add that her box used to be in the sunroom, but I recently moved it to behind the couch since that has been where she has been going the most.

beccagore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Advice anyone? I really need to figure this out soon.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The 'unwanted surprises' are poo or wee? 

I'm concerned that she used to be OK and then this started... it would be a good idea to have her checked out by the vet as this can indicate a problem.

Remember to keep the boxes scrupulously clean... some cats will go in the box once and that's it.  And add a box as many cats won't wee where they poo.

And a couple of articles:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litter-box-location-secrets

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/combat-cat-urine (because getting rid of 'accidents' is essential)

beccagore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She will pee in the box, but will poo else where. As I said earlier I did move her box this morning, and she has used it today. Both poo, and pee.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that she should have two boxes at least. If the problem continues, can you confine her to one room for a while, to see if she uses the litter there? If she does, then keep her there for a week or so before trying again with access to t he rest of the house while keeping a box where she has got used to using it. Then gradually move the box to where you want to have it. But a vet check should always be the first thing to do. You could also try different types of litter - some cats don't like clay, for example.