Litter box problems

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, Luna who is 5 months old and Jessie who is 4 months old. Luna is great with using the litter box and never has any problems. I'm having problems with Jessie though. She knows how to use the litter boxes, she knows where they are (we have one outside and one downstairs) and doesn't seem to have any issues with the litter itself. 99% of the time she uses them absolutely fine. But it seems to be that sometimes when she's upstairs with us, she will pee on our bedroom floor.

I clean it up with stuff that is meant to break down the ammonia, I've tried rubbing oranges all over the floor but nothing seems to stop her. If I pick her up and take her to the litter box she will use it. It's almost as if she can't be bothered to go back downstairs to the toilet. It's not exactly far!

We did have a litter tray upstairs to start with when they were both really young but it never really got used as they spend most of their time downstairs or in the back garden., so we moved it to the garden in the hope that it would get them used to going outside.

Any ideas on what to do and why she's doing this?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You must use the right cleaning products to remove all traces of urine. Enzyme cleaners are best. 

I don't know why Jessie is "lazy" about going to her box. Is this behavior a recent one? You may have to bring her to a vet if it is. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use stuff that says it removes all traces of urine.

She peed on our carpet about a month ago when the litter tray was still upstairs but I just assumed it was cos I'd been a bad mum and forgot to scoop out the litter tray that afternoon. But in the past couple of weeks it's happened 3 times. Twice I've managed to catch her before she starts peeing and put her in her box. The other time she started to pee before I saw what she was doing.