Litter Box Location

ryan downs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need a little advice.

I live in a 1000-sq foot 1-bedroom apartment and I have one cat.   Due to a respiratory disability, I've been kind of flip flopping between different litter box designs over the past few years to try to the find the best litter box that takes the least effort to sift/clean out on a regular basis.  I started with just a pretty standard litter box with a scoop in my kitchen, but one of my friends griped about how disgusting it was to have an open litterbox in the kitchen, so I bought a litter box with a hood that you can basically rotate onto its side and it'll filter the clumps into a little removable tray.  I recently invested in a Luuup litterbox (it was a crowdsourcing campaign, which is a three-tier sifting system that looked even easier.  However, like the first brand I used, this litterbox is an open litterbox.

My apartment only has two non-carpeted rooms: the kitchen and the bathroom.  There's absolutely no place in the bathroom for the litterbox, and I feel like having a litterbox on carpeting would also be quite unsanitary as well.

Does anyone have any advice or personal experiences?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see nothing insanitary about having a litter box on carpet. I think the only place I would not have a box is in a kitchen.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could always put a mat under the box if you needed to have it in a carpeted area.

How's the Luuup? I saw them but the postage was prohibitive.

My flat's 2/3rds the size of yours and I have three bedrooms and 4 trays around the place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryan downs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually just got it in the mail today, so I plan on trying it out.  My biggest concern was that there is this seafoam green "litter catcher" trim around the lip of the litter box that I thought would be a huge pain to remove and put back on every time you clean the litter, but it actually settles on there very easily and quickly, so so far, so good.