Litter box issues... help?

rasalghul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, Everyone!

so my kitten is about 3 months now, I got him at 8 weeks and he was potty trained and ready to go.  I had not had any issues with him until now.  I moved the litter box from my closet to the living room because it was getting a little stinky and honestly I don't know why I had the bright idea to put it there anyway.  My restroom is too small and I had read somewhere that they like privacy so I guess that't why...  anyway... I've noticed that he is starting to poop on the carpet about 3 feet away from his litter box.  That didn't start immediately after I moved the box either, it started maybe a week after. I know that when it was in the closet, we accidentally forgot to leave the door open and he ended up pooping in the restroom right next to the toilet and hadn't gone outside his litter box since then.  I haven't changed litter, still using the same stuff I was using when I brought him home, I mean I haven't changed brands lol I change his litter once a week and replace it with new stuff.  There have been no changes to his behavior otherwise and no other changes at home.  It's only two people living in my apartment and the cat so it's not like the living room is a high traffic area.

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,  May I ask what your little wee one's name is?

So he's been with you for a month?  and no issues.  I'm thinking it could be location.  Could it be too far or perhaps he's just confused.

I'm sure others will chime in and give you sound advice.  Good luck with your new little bundle.  It will work out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rasalghul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His name is Ra's named after a batman villain lol.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 3 months, he may not remember where it is. Put it back close to the closet, them move it slowly, step by step back to the living room. Make sure he sees you do it, too, so he will know where it is.

rasalghul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He knows where it is, he uses it to pee in and most of the time he poops in there too... I scoop at least twice a day and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should scoop more often? I read somewhere that they don't like to poop in the litter box if there is any waste at all in it, I just haven't noticed if it is dirty when he poops on the carpet.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My advice after years of owning cats..and the litter box use!

Be sure you are scooping 3 or 4 times  a day.

we keep a bucket with a plastic bag and scoop by our litterbox

and a bucket outside ..when we scoop we take it outside to the

outside bucket ...

we keep lots of those plastic bags you get your groceries in ...

or either you can buy the bags of your choice paper or plastic..

We found over the years that regular cat litter boxes are not room y enough

for cats..not for mine..

We went to the store such as walmart or Lowe's and bought a clear long plastic storage container and we use that with no top on it..

The cats love it and they have room to turn around and they can see what they

are doing clearly and not step in it..

We bought one that is at least 30 some inches long and wide..

We fill it half way up with scent ..no fragrance clumping litter..

The cats like the unscented litter...yours might have a problem with your litter

fragrance..who knows..they can not tell you? smiles..

Hope this helps.. if one keeps scooping and takes the urine or feces

outside  to a bucket

and if you  change the entire litter box once a week..

after you remove the soiled litter

spray the entire inside with hydrogen peroxide..

wipe it down with paper towel on the inside for germs..

then wash it and dry it...and add the new litter

you ought to be okay..in your home with less smell..

Sheri T, Lily and Bro

rasalghul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I will get a bigger tub for sure. I don't think it's a problem with the litter because he still pees in it. I honestly think it has to do with the size because he is pooping right next to the box so it's not like he's pooping in some random corner or anything like that. I do clean out the litter completely once a week as well as scoop several times per day. I really appreciate your advice! Thank you! [emoji]10084[/emoji]

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you are most welcome!

Go buy that large clear see through container...

the cat will love it..

anything that is that size or larger..

it has to be a low one for them to hop in it

that would be height  of 7 inches...

Mine is large and it is 7 inches deep..depth so the cat

can hop right in it..and out..

Even the older cat can get in mine and out..

SheriT

littleyuffie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he have 2 litter boxes? I read somewhere that cats do not like to pee and poop in the same place.

mjandclyde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  There is a common rule that you get as many litter boxes as you have cats plus one. It could be the convenience of the litter box. Are you putting enough litter in the litterbox? Cats love to dig a hole in the litter before they defecate and throw litter on it after (due to the smell of it). I once had a Cat that pooped on the carpet because she knew I would remove the smelly fecal matter more quickly than I had when she defecated in the litterbox. You can try moving it on top of the spot (on the carpet) he defecated on. You can also move the litter box to his favorite place to sit around and relax.

My most recommended option for you:  Try cleaning the litter box right after he uses it. Cats are very cleansly and despise the smell of their own feces, hence why they love to cover it up with litter. When my Cat finds there is feces still in his litter box when he needs to use it again, he will come to me and meow incessantly. I suggest buying Cat Litter Deodorizer. My Cat loves it.

This is the one I use: ( https://www.chewy.com/arm-hammer-cat-litter-deodorizer/dp/51960 ).

It's a very simple fix for such a problem. You place a layer of deodorizer in an empty litter box, put litter on top of it, then put another layer of deodorizer on top of it. I hope this is helpful, best of luck with Ra!

Last edited by a moderator: