Litter Box Help - Emmergency

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so through procrastination I have a serious problem. 9 year old Rocky prefers to hold it for 12 hours rather than go to the bathroom inside. I don't have hard evidence that she uses the litterboxes ever, although i believe she does if storms force her inside for more than 12 hours. Unfortunately, we are going on vacation next week, and its going to be tough on her. She does not get along with other cats, so kennelling her would be very stressful. And even if someone came to our house 2x a day, to let her out and in, who knows if they would get her to come back in. (They probably would, she doesn't go far, but the younger cat is a bigger flight risk and will gladly stay out for 16 hours at times.) So someone will come 1x a day, and she will be indoors for 7 days. When we have done this in the past...well, things have been messy. Not apocalypse messy, but bad enough that our free cat sitter doesn't return out emails and we are using a paid cat sitter this time.

We generally use scoopable litter. I'm thinking I add two boxes full of the dirt/mulch from outside. Even if my cat sitter doesn't change them, better than nothing. Or is there any litter that is similar enough that she might use it?

All advice welcome, though don't tell me I should have started experimenting long ago, because I know that.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a semi-feral that only uses the backyard. He had to be kept in a room for 2 weeks while we monitored/nursed him back to health. He took to scoopable litter with no issue. Why not lock her in one room with a litter box for a couple of days and see what happens before you go on vacation?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Rocky is 9 years old, and you've had litter box issues before when you've gone away, I'm not sure if there is an easy or quick fix that will be in place by the time you go away.

Maybe try picking Rocky up and putting her in the litter box every time she goes to the door to go out, and after she eats, and digging with her paws like you would if litter box training a kitten. And maybe getting a second litter box and putting it in totally different location. And trying different litter. Or sprinkle some potting soil on top of the litter, as she must be using dirt outside.

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions, and even Google didn't find anything that looked terribly helpful. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Got clay non-clumping litter and a bigger litter box, and will try sprinkling outside dirt of the type where she goes.

fleur4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a really tough problem, I feel bad for you. About 2 weeks ago I had a problem with my cat very suddenly not using her litterbox and the vet suggested I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attraction litter and it worked. Have not had a problem since. Maybe you could try it. Just for your info, I got it from Chewy.com for $13 a box, and Amazon also carries it, but it's twice the price on Amazon. Good luck!!