Litter box deodourizer + essential oils

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I want to make a little hanging litter box deodourizer that is basically baking soda in some filter paper that hangs near the litter box. Sort of like a homemade version of those baking soda fridge things you can buy.  I used to do this with my cloth diaper pails and it kept them smelling much fresher.  

One thing I also did was to add a few drops of a nice-smelling essential oil, such as lavender oil, to the baking soda and shake it around.  That's basically what those "pet deodourizers with baking soda" are.  I'm allergic to pretty much all artificial fragrances and perfumes, but most natural products derived from plants don't bother me.  I hate most things that are "scented", as do most cats it seems.  That's why most people advise against scented cat litters, after all.  So, I'm wondering if there's a natural scent that humans like that cats like, too.   

So what are the essential oils that smell nice to humans and cats?  

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Essential oils are highly toxic to cats! Please don't use those. 

Essential Oils - Beware of using ANY  product marketed for cats with essential oils and especially tea tree oils. 
They are toxic and not at all safe! Tea tree oil (melaleuca, melaleuca alternifolia) is a phenol-containing essential 
oil. Its active ingredients are cyclic terpenes which have a similar structure and action to turpentine (paint 
thinner). Cats are uniquely sensitive to phenolics and other benzene-based compounds. Benzyl alcohol (a 
preservative) is toxic to cats. Products being marketed with Tea Tree Oil such as shampoos, flea treatments, 
soaps, etc. are not safe to use, regardless of the company's claim that it is.
 Essential oils  which contain phenols 
are particularly toxic to cats and cause liver damage. These include oregano, thyme, eucalyptus, clove, 
cinnamon, bay leaf, parsley and savory. Essential oils which contain ketones can cause neurological symptoms. 
These include: cedar leaf*, sage*, hyssop*, cyprus*, lavender, eucalyptus, mint, caraway*, citronella, clove*, 
ginger*, camphor, chamomile, thyme and rosemary (those marked * give particular cause for concern).
 Please 
read further to see how tea tree oil is toxic.

For more information on the dangers of essential oils please go to the following websites:
www.ehow.com/facts_5786398_camphor-toxicity-cats.html
www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html
www.messybeast.com/teatree.htm
http://cats.about.com/od/housekeeping/a/aromatherapy
Essential Oil Safety Information
www.aromaweb.com/articles/safety.asp
Essential Oil Safety & Cats - Be Wary of Aromatherapy Claims for Cats
www.cybercanine.com/cat.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Umm... essential oils can be made of ANYTHING, so it's not logical to believe that they are all toxic to cats, unless every plant or substance in the world is toxic to cats.  So... tea tree oil is toxic, sure.  What about the millions of other oils?  

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you not look at the list right there? And read the links? I personally would never chance it. I use Dr. Elsey's car litter and there is no smell, so I don't need to have deoderizers. 

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, for now I'm just using baking soda in a coffee filter hanging in the corner of the litter box.  

As for essential oils, toxicity isn't an all-or-nothing thing, it depends on potency and method of absorption.  For instance, some things need to be ingested to be toxic, some things can be toxic applied to skin, some things are toxic if inhaled, and some things aren't toxic at all.  So, no, all essential oils are not the same.  They are not all toxic and even the ones that are can be safe to use in some ways.  

My question is what odours do not bother cats.  In other words, what odours do cats enjoy?  Or at least have no aversion to.  Whether a drop or two of oil mixed with baking soda in the vicinity of the cat can reach toxic levels in the cat's bloodstream is not the topic.  

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you not look at the list right there? And read the links? I personally would never chance it. I use Dr. Elsey's car litter and there is no smell, so I don't need to have deoderizers. 
I read every link.  There are ~300,000 known plant species in the world.  In fact, there are herbs in the cat litter you use.  I bet you don't even know what herbs they are.  

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell lavender-scented World's Best cat litter, so I think lavender is probably a safe bet. Minty smells and citrus-y smells are best avoided around the litterbox, just in case.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should just make a couple deodourizers with different scents, show the cats, and see if they react at all.  I don't want the scent to be strong.  I don't need to put it right in the litter box, either.  Anywhere nearby would be fine.  The litter box doesn't smell, but there's really no escaping the fact that cat poop stinks the instant it leaves the cat and then it takes them a minute to bury it.  A little something to keep the air fresher for that minute or two would be great.  

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From this link above - http://cats.about.com/od/housekeeping/a/aromatherapy

Essential Oils Potentially Toxic to Cats
(This list is not all-inclusive)
  • Peppermint
  • Lemon Oil
  • Lavender Oil
  • Melaleuca Oil
  • Tea Tree Oil
  • Cinnamon Bark Oil
  • Wintergreen Oil
  • Thyme Oil
I believe there is a big difference between using the herbs themselves and using essential oils derived from those herbs.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I read the link.  I read all the links.  The difference between herbs and essential oils derived from them is mostly of concentration; there's nothing in the oils that isn't in the plants (unless there's something added, but that's not a pure essential oil).  Essential oils are more concentrated, so a smaller "dose" or level of exposure will lead to toxicity.  It doesn't mean that all exposure of any kind leads to toxicity for any substance that's concentrated.  I'm not feeding it to the cats, I'm not putting it on their bodies, I'm not diffusing it into the air, so even if I used a "potentially toxic" oil, it's extremely unlikely that it would harm the cat.  Just to be safe, I could certainly stay away from substances known to be harmful to cats.  That still leaves thousands of other substances.  

Those links aren't nearly as awesome as you guys think they are, by the way.  The information given isn't very specific.  It doesn't mention toxic levels or how to use these products safely at all, it just says that they can be used unsafely.  Really, you can't just post a few links to some websites you googled and think that you've proven your point and that everyone should just stop what they're doing and agree with you.  

I really don't want to talk about that, though.  I get that it's easier to make blanket statements about all essential oils than it is to consider each one critically and use logic in assessing risks.  I also realize that there's no sense trying to look at the finer points of a topic when people have chosen to see it in black and white, where they hysterically avoid something because they don't understand how it works.  It's the dry food thing all over again.  

So, never mind.  I'll figure it out and you guys can do whatever you want.  

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rescue Remedy is made with flower essences. Maybe you could try something along those lines. I would think that rose would be nice; or vanilla.

Edited after doing a bit more reading; I'd rather not give a glib opinion on such a complex subject.

Last edited:

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rescue Remedy is made with flower essences. Maybe you could try something along those lines. I would think that rose essence would be nice; or vanilla. I can't see how the scent of an oil would cause problems in cats. That's like saying that smelling alcohol will make you drunk, or smelling rat poison will kill rats. Now, if the cats were to chew on the sachet that might be different. But that's not what we're talking about here.
I hadn't thought of vanilla.  That would probably be perfect.  I'll look into it.  Thanks!

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rescue Remedy is made with flower essences. Maybe you could try something along those lines. I would think that rose essence would be nice; or vanilla. I can't see how the scent of an oil would cause problems in cats. That's like saying that smelling alcohol will make you drunk, or smelling rat poison will kill rats. Now, if the cats were to chew on the sachet that might be different. But that's not what we're talking about here.
I hadn't thought of vanilla.  That would probably be perfect.  I'll look into it.  Thanks!
Hope you find something that works safely. Just want to reiterate that, upon further reading, I'd rather not state so glibly that inhalation of essential oils poses no risks. It's something that I'd have to research more thoroughly before offering an opinion.

Last edited:

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, some things are harmful if inhaled, but some things aren't.  

I think I'm going to go with activated carbon, actually.  I ordered some little sachets of activated bamboo charcoal and I think those will work better than baking soda.  I don't think I'll try to add any scent.  The more I think about it, the more I realize I like everything to just be unscented and neutral.  

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue Remedy is made with flower essences. Maybe you could try something along those lines. I would think that rose would be nice; or vanilla.
Flower essences don't smell like flowers. . .they're homeopathic, not enough flowers in it to smell like anything.

I agree, activated charcoal is a good idea. Zeolite is similar.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recall reading that people used to use fireplace ashes as cat litter, but it became unpopular because it tracked everywhere.  The interesting thing about activated carbon as opposed to regular ole carbon is that it has more surface area with which to bind to compounds that cause odours, and will therefore last longer.  However, regular ashes are still high in carbon and still absorb odours.  I wonder if ashes could be sprinkled into litter like baking soda to absorb odours more effectively.  Activated carbon works better and for longer, but if it's sprinkled in, it is disposed of with the litter, so doesn't need to last longer.  Ashes are lower cost as well.  Since I use wood pellets with a two-layer litter box, I could sprinkle the ashes in the bottom layer.  Currently, I do this with baking soda.  

Hmmm.... 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Everclean clumping litter, and so long as it doesn't need scooping I don't have a problem with it smelling.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys... it's not a problem with my litter.  I've used every litter under the sun.  Cat feces produce odour before they even hit the litter.  It may be momentary, but it's there.  I want it to go away as quickly as possible, or be intercepted before it wafts anywhere, that's why I'm thinking in terms of maybe something hanging over the box or... something.  

It's not that bad, it's not a major problem, but there's always room for improvement.  

dohdeelicious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put a mason jar of baking soda with 3 drops of essential oil in the same room as the litter boxes. Covered. Small holes in the lid.

It didn't help.