litter box cleanliness

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any advice on how to keep two litter boxes cleaner? I clean them out usually once a day, and add more litter every few days, and then every two/three weeks, deep clean and scrub the boxes and add all new litter. It just gets so stinky with two cats, and the one I'm assuming they use for just peeing, gets so smelly so quick, and gross i'm guessing from the acid? I use baking soda each time i deep clean them, and put it in the bottom, and I've tried Tidy  cats litter box deoderizer but it didn't seem to do much. Also I use the multi cat multi cat non clumping litter. Its just if its really bad smelling to me, I can only imagine it being gross to them too. Should I deep clean it more? Cat litter expense adds up quickly when you use a bag and a half just to refill it completely.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've had more luck with very fine clumping litter staying fresher for longer. I scoop a minimum of three times a day, and discard all the litter and do a deep clean every 3 - 4 weeks for one cat. When I was using two extra-large boxes (again for one cat), both got scooped 2 - 3 times a day and dumped every 4 or 5 weeks. The non-clumping litter seems to need changing every week.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, a change of diet really helped my cats. Before going on raw diet I scooped 4 times a day and Febreeze in the air. I also scrubbed boxes once a week, sometimes more often. It was awful until I got them feeling better. The diet change made the biggest difference.

Second, I use a cheap scooping litter. I use Cat's Pride unscented. I use 2 bags a week for 3 cats. That helps reduce costs a bit since I get it from the Family Dollar for $2.75/bag. I scoop on average once a day.

Check out www.catinfo.org, she has a link about litter box care that may be useful! I used to use bleach water to spot clean as she suggests, but lately I haven't done it. I still scrub boxes, but maybe twice a month now.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Non-clumping litter just doesn't last long, IME. If you want to keep it odor-free, you need to change it every 3-7 days. Try a clumping litter, I think it'll work better for you.

barry hayward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cat's and I use arm & hammer clumping litter. I clean mine out at least once a day but I only put a little litter in at a time after scooping out the bad, this way I can be sure that the litter is alway's fresh for my 2 girls. I know it's expensive at $9.50 a box but that's only $4.75 per week, but if it keep's the cat's and me happy Go for it!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to agree to go with a clumping litter, may seem more expensive at first, but it lasts longer, and consider maybe a diet change. Cats eliminate all the junk that is any food they eat..junk in ..junk out as they say.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always used non-clumping cat litter, since, until recently, I have always had an exotic cat hybrids and or pure exotic cat. So, clumping cat litter was a no no. Since, sometimes, exotic and hybrid cats will eat cat litter. Just like they will eat paper, plastic or fabric at times 
. Anyway, my point is this: I just use/used Walmart's own brand called Special Kitty. The unscented and non-clumping type. But, and there is a big but, I went threw seventy five (75) pounds of it a week. Since, I had 5 HUGE boxes for one hybrid, that, was completely indoors and his companion, who, was completely indoors and was a DLH. Plus, my two indoor/outdoor DSH. So, yes, you can use non-clumping in my experience. But, you need to USE A LOT of it. At least, so, your house does not smell like cat 

I would also like to add, that, I think it is more cost effective (cheaper) to use clumping litter, if possible. 

This nothing but my 
 based off my experience  and thoughts

Last edited:

pepesmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always used non-clumping cat litter, since, until recently, I have always had an exotic cat hybrids and or pure exotic cat. So, clumping cat litter was a no no. Since, sometimes, exotic and hybrid cats will eat cat litter. Just like they will eat paper, plastic or fabric at times 
...say what? I didn't know this! What the deuce?  I have been on this site for two hours and I have already learned so much.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...say what? I didn't know this! What the deuce?  I have been on this site for two hours and I have already learned so much.
Yes, owning a pure exotic cat, like a: Serval, Caracal, Geoffrey, African Jungle Cat or Asian Leopard cat is not for the faint of heart. Nor, is it for anyone, without, a lot of physical and emotional preparation
. The foundation level (F1-F4) hybrids (Bengal, Chausie, Savannah and Safari) are just smaller and can be more destructive in my experience. But, just like with any cat, individual personality is a MAJOR factor IMHO and experience.

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, owning a pure exotic cat, like a: Serval, Caracal, Geoffrey, African Jungle Cat or Asian Leopard cat is not for the faint of heart. Nor, is it for anyone, without, a lot of physical and emotional preparation
. The foundation level (F1-F4) hybrids (Bengal, Chausie, Savannah and Safari) are just smaller and can be more destructive in my experience. But, just like with any cat, individual personality is a MAJOR factor IMHO and experience.
Hi Cat Person, I have a cat who loves to chew paper and plastic. He's not an exotic,he's a domestic shorthair tabby. Have you found anything that helps them do this less? I put away everything I can but I wondered if a certain chew toy or something else might help?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Person, I have a cat who loves to chew paper and plastic. He's not an exotic,he's a domestic shorthair tabby. Have you found anything that helps them do this less? I put away everything I can but I wondered if a certain chew toy or something else might help?
I have NEVER, had a pure domestic, that, was over a year old, that, had such issues. My terminally ill, DLH, had major pica (eating of nonfood items) issues. But, she, was VERY ill, with a rare enzymatic disorder. So, I just chalked it up to the disease. With my exotics and hybrids, I had to put everything away, like, you do with your DSH. In the case of my hybrids and exotics, it was just part of, living with them. I had EVERYTHING put away, with baby locks, on every cabinet. Sorry, I can't be more helpful