Litter Box Cleaning Question

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my boys have this thing they like to do where they dig all the way to the bottom to do their business.  So everything sticks to the bottom of the box and I have to pry it up with the litter box scoop.  Any suggestions for preventing the clumps from sticking to the bottom?  I clean the boxes (we have 2) at least twice a day which means the clumps are still kinda wet and that makes it even harder to pry them up.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Alicia88,

How deep is your litter? It has to be at least 3ins deep. Some fill up to 5 ins. Reason is this, if too shallow, pee will flow right through and hit bottom if your kitty pees heavy. So if they dig all the way (my boy digs all the way to China), and the litter is shallow, definitely they hit rock bottom.
And also if you clear the pee too fast before they really clumped up and almost dry, it'll break up as you scoop and you'll be left with small pieces and fragments and that makes it harder to clear all of it :doh3:

So deeper litter is better and less likely to reach the bottom (they still do but not much). I fill up around 3ins or more and wait long enough then I'll clear the litter box and top up litter every other day (depending on how much he pee).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fill them both around 4-5 inches.  They dig forever until they get clear to the bottom.  I swear, they would do the same thing in 8 inches of litter.  And they get annoyed with me if the boxes aren't always thoroughly cleaned.  They sit by me supervising to make sure I do a good job.  Then they climb in and sniff around a bit before giving me their nuzzle of approval.

They aren't spoiled at all.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Did you dig soon after they finished peeing? Wait till the pee clumps are almost dry or dried then scoop. Once the bottom is hardened, it's easier just to pry them off the bottom.
Make sure your scoop is right under the clump and make small prying action right at the bottom and it'll lift the clump up without breaking provided it's already quite dry. Once they break up its harder to have a clean box. Also use a damp tissue to clean the inner side of the litter box to clear away the dust and some spill from pee or poo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually clean it every morning and every evening.  I guess I'll have to watch more closely so I know when they use it.  I have the boxes in quiet areas so they can have their privacy.  One is in the back corner of the kitchen and the other is in the corner of the bedroom.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I usually observe which part of the litter box my boy will use to pee and I remember that part that have fresh pee. And after he finishes and covers it, I'll raise the mount higher so that I can remember just in case I forget. And sometimes I do forget :smshfrk: And I'll even out the litter so that I know if he uses it again especially when I have to go out.
The other way I do is I use the scoop to test which area is harder and if it's hard, that means the pee is there and is almost dry but sometimes it's not dry and I get pee stucked to the scoop :frusty:
But when he poos, the litter mount is much higher and I'll know that below it is poo :lol3:

mapo5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might be easier to get it up with one of those metal scrapers used for like spackling. I have 3 that are essential to my animal messes! Also some litterbox material is much easier to clean than others. I have one that cost me $20 and one that cost me $5 and the cheaper one is so much easier to clean!!!
Hope this gets easier for you!!