Literally just a bunch of questions about my cats!

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had my cats for awhile now and I just have so many comments/questions about their sometimes strange behavior!  If anyone could even answer a few that would be much appreciated!

1. When they watch outside and see birds they make weird noises.  Like a chirping noise.  What does this mean? Why do they do it?

2. Why do they want me to pet them while they eat?  They don't eat much unless I am with them.  

3. One of my cats loves it when we rub right by his tail on his back.  But there is a spot near there where if you pet it, as if it is a reflex, he snaps around and immediately starts licking it obsessively.  Every time!  Anyone else have something like this?  Is  this concerning behavior?

4. One of my cats used to sleep with me when he was younger but now he doesn't. :(  Is there a way I can encourage him to sleep with me again?  I wish I could just lock him in my room with me, but I feel like that would be mean.  

5. When my cats use the litter box they kick the litter EVERYWHERE!  I mean like half of the litter is on the floor when they are done.  And it is so gross because they often kick their own waste out.  I have to lug my vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs between the tree boxes.  

6.  My two cats have an okay relationship, but it could be better.   Most of the time they do not interact.  But when they do it never seems to be positive.  Most of their interaction occurs at night.  They play fight each other--but it seems to go to far and they break apart yowling at each other and then just go at it again.  I think the problem is that the older and bigger one is more aggressive and the younger and smaller one can't take it and doesn't like it.   

7. Also why do my sweet angels turn into monsters at night and attack everything?!  Specifically night.  

8. And is there a way to strengthen the cat's relationship with my dog?  My dog is a friendly 6 year old lab, but his vision is not so good--half the time I don't think he even sees them.  They completely ignore each other.  I just wish they could be friends!  I don't know if my cats and dog know that they exist to each other lol

9. My older cat is very anti-social.  He has several behavioral issues including: biting, scratching, aversion to being touched, peeing out of litterbox (although right now that issue is solved!), and basically just being hyper.   I think maybe he is anxious?  What can I do to help him?  I know he did not have the best start to life and I have been trying to help him but I have not seen a ton of change.  (Although when I got feliway it seemed to help a bit).

Anyways those are my questions.  Sorry tthere are so many!  But if anyone can answer even a few I would be grateful!  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. They are chittering, moving their jaws like they would if they caught the birds. Enjoy their anticipation.

3. There is a very sensitive spot at the base of a cat's tail. Some like to have it scratched and some don't. Mingo will bite hard if you touch that area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  That's good to know!!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
4. As cats grow so does there want for independence. My 9 month old slept annoyingly under my nose, poised vacariously on my forarm or spread out across my lying body. Then she stopped for about 3 months, then decided it was her duty to lie next to me a bed time and wonder off sometime during the night.
6. There is a school of though that we have bred cats to like us more than each other. Cats are social animal but over generations the cats that like us and that we like are more successful than others. Try and give the little one places to hide. Reward the bigger cat when he's nice to the little one.
As for the rest cats are weird, don't over think it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks very much!  Cats are just the best :)