List for the Best Cat Stuff??

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know what else is a fact?

Cats are living longer healthier lives than ever before and most people feed their cats dry food.

PS - you're singing to the choir. I truly believe dry food is garbage. That being said, I'd rather see a cat in a loving home eating dry food than getting pts in a shelter.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!  I SO appreciate all the advice on everything.  I haven't been able to respond sooner because I've been getting ready to bring Popcorn home tomorrow.  :)  He's the white cat that's my avatar.  We met him last Friday at the shelter & I went back today to see how he does w/ dogs.  The shelter said that since my dog is so laid back that it should go well.  I got advice from someone here on how to help w/ introductions, so we'll be going that route.  I still have to pick up a few things on my lunch break tomorrow including food.

I did ask the shelter and they feed the cats Science Diet which I'm assuming is dry food.  How do I switch him to canned/wet food from dry?  I only want what's best for him.  :)  And another question, do you free feed cats or only feed them once or twice a day??  We free feed our dog.  For awhile once the dog & cat are used to each other, we'll let them be more free.  (We'll probably keep them separated during the day when school goes back into session.)

Ok thanks again for all your advice.  I'm open to everything and anything.  :)
So excited for you and Popcorn and your dog! You can read the label on the Science Diet, that will tell you how poor a diet this is for a cat. Full or corn and other things a cat shouldn't eat.

Start adding in canned food right away, gradually reduce the SD kibble and add more canned until he is all canned.

Feed scheduled meals three times a day.

You may have to start schedule feeding your dog too, if Popcorn tries to eat the dog's food. Dog food is not good for cats, because cats and dogs have very different nutritional needs. For example, cats need a diet high in animal protein, and taurine. Dog food is usually much lower in protein and often doesn't have enough taurine (if any) added to the food.

Cats don't always cope with change well, so keep in mind that Popcorn may find himself a hiding place and stay there for anywhere from a day to several weeks.

Good luck tomorrow!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what else is a fact?

Cats are living longer healthier live than ever before and most people feed their cats dry food.
That is speculation, not fact. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again!  I figured Science diet was bad because I think they make a dog food too.  Pepper, our dog, is on Canidae which is much healthier than alot of the other brands of dog food.  So, I was just trying to find out what is the better/best cat foods.  I'll keep an eye on when Popcorn is given more freedom in the house and if he finds Pepper's food interesting, we'll put Pepper on a scheduled feeding.  Not sure if she'll like that, but she'll be fine.  lol 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again!  I figured Science diet was bad because I think they make a dog food too.  Pepper, our dog, is on Canidae which is much healthier than alot of the other brands of dog food.  So, I was just trying to find out what is the better/best cat foods.  I'll keep an eye on when Popcorn is given more freedom in the house and if he finds Pepper's food interesting, we'll put Pepper on a scheduled feeding.  Not sure if she'll like that, but she'll be fine.  lol 
I like canned foods that don't contain grains, fruits or vegetables, or carrageenan. However, almost any canned is better than dry.

The makers of Canidae have a cat food line too, it's called Felidae

http://www.canidae.com/cats/chicken_and_rice/canned.html

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!  I SO appreciate all the advice on everything.  I haven't been able to respond sooner because I've been getting ready to bring Popcorn home tomorrow.  :)  He's the white cat that's my avatar.  We met him last Friday at the shelter & I went back today to see how he does w/ dogs.  The shelter said that since my dog is so laid back that it should go well.  I got advice from someone here on how to help w/ introductions, so we'll be going that route.  I still have to pick up a few things on my lunch break tomorrow including food.

I did ask the shelter and they feed the cats Science Diet which I'm assuming is dry food.  How do I switch him to canned/wet food from dry?  I only want what's best for him.  :)  And another question, do you free feed cats or only feed them once or twice a day??  We free feed our dog.  For awhile once the dog & cat are used to each other, we'll let them be more free.  (We'll probably keep them separated during the day when school goes back into session.)

Ok thanks again for all your advice.  I'm open to everything and anything.  :)
Awww, cute kitty Zoey! I hope Popcorn and your dogs become best friends.

The Cat Nutrition forum has all the advice you need about switching a cat from dry to wet food. Everyone told me Step 1 is don't keep food on the floor all day. You can start with wet Science Diet for now to prevent diarrhea, then buy other brands members will suggest and figure out if he likes something more nutritious.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat
"Feline life expectancy has increased significantly in recent decades."
Says nothing about this being because cats eat a dry diet, or even how many cats eat a dry diet. Does however say quite a lot about cats being obligate carnivores and needing nutrients from meat based foods including this

and diets containing no animal products pose the risk of causing severe nutritional deficiencies.[69]
:)

Sorry for the thread drift OP

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Says nothing about this being because cats eat a dry diet, or even how many cats eat a dry diet. Does however say quite a lot about cats being obligate carnivores and needing nutrients from meat based foods including this

Sorry for the thread drift OP
I did not say life expectancy of cats has anything to do with a dry food diet or any other kind of diet.

Correlation does not imply causality - a basic tenet of science/statistics.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
OK,. back to the original topic here please.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and please treat each other with respect. If you want to debate Nutrition, please take it to the Nutrition forum, not this thread.

twigapigmacmuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For grooming my shorthair, I found that the "shed ender" type comb works really well. I get a lot of compliments on his coat when I take him on his harness outside my condo. Also combined with Wellness wet food and lots and lots of love :)

zoeygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well Popcorn has made it home.  We got here about an hour ago & he seems to be doing very well.  He's downstairs where my girls' bedroom is & he's not hiding or anything.  :)  I 'showed' him where his food/water is located as well as the litter box.  I'm hoping he'll understand that he's too poo/pee in it.  :)

I brought him home in a carrier and our dog, Pepper, was able to sniff him.  Popcorn didn't hiss or get upset.  He seems like a really laid back cat.  Thank goodness.  lol  We also have 2 guinea pigs that are out of Popcorn's sight.  One of them fussed at the other & caused her to wheek.  Popcorn just looked like, "WTH was that?" and then went back to checking out the new place.  So far so good.  I'm going to get some pics soon.  I have him on the Science Diet crap and will work on switching him over to a new food.  I'm thinking I'll go to Felidae.   Thanks again for all the advice!

zoeygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!  He's adjusting extremely well.  My 9yr old daughter came up a few minutes ago to report that he used the litter box. 
  I was kind of nervous about that.  When we were packing him up to leave the shelter, the staff told me that not an hour after I went in yesterday to fill out the adoption papers that 2 guys came into the shelter insisting that they wanted him.  Haha!  He's ours!!  :)  I took some pics but the settings on my camera is off.  I'll have to try to get some decent shots. 

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd start here.  I apologize if I should've posted this somewhere else.  Ok to start I'm anal and like to have my T's crossed and I's dotted before making any huge decisions.  So, I've been doing research on cats (see my thread in behavior) and I would like to know what you all think about what's best for the cat as far as the following:

Food-dry vs wet and what kind is better (I know for our dog, we feed her Canidae because it's made here & has quality ingredients.)
Litter boxes?  Anyone have any preferences
Litter types?  What's the best to use?
Cat toys?  Any do's & don'ts
Scratching posts
Collars?  Leashes?
Treats?

What is recommended in regards to shots?  Flea care?  I know we give our dog Brewer's Yeast daily supplement to prevent fleas.  It says you can give it to cats but I didn't know if anyone else has used them?

Hopefully I haven't overwhelmed anyone.  If there's a place to look at lists, I would love the link.  Thanks in advance for all of your help!
For food, wet is better than dry! Cats are obligatory carnivores, who cannot digest grains, fruit and vegetables, only meat. Unfortunately many kitties that are fed dry food all their lives become dehydrated, because cats have low thirst drives. They get most of their moisture from the food they eat. Dry food is based on plant based protein primarily, instead of meat based protein. Grain and veggie free canned is what I'd go with. Weruva and BFF are my favorite brands, hands down. Some varieties do contain carrageenan, but I avoid those. Plus the packaging is sooooo cute. :lol3: But that's not what you base what your kitty eats off of!!! :lol3:

I like a closed litterbox, as do my kitties (they like their privacy :lol3:) because it helps to control litterbox odor. I'm currently using Purina Maxx Cat (I think) for their litter, only because it works really well. I'm thinking of looking for an all natural litter, though.

CAT TOYS! :lol3: I love kitty wands, Kong Kickeroos, Da Bird, and sooooo many more. I have two young kitties so cat toys are my main priority right now! :lol3:

I have one "normal" scratching post hanging around, which they use regularly. I have two large cat trees in their play area, as well as a few window perches around the house and shelving units made just for them to jump around on. I just redecorated to make my house more cat friendly.

I use any kind of breakaway collars for my ferals, but Cookie likes wearing a collar, too! (even though she doesn't go outside :lol3:). I got her a Safe Cat one from Walmart the other day.

I give my cats PureBites and Whole Life freeze dried kitty treats. 100% pure meat! And, occasionally.....Temptations. :lol3: they only get three each though.