Liquid diet to avoid constipation

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat had two enterotomy in two months to treat constipation (because enemas and manual extraction were not working).
The vet also discovered a mass outside her intestin, pressing on it a little and making hard stool difficult to pass (which is causing constipation according to him). He tried to remove the mass surgically but was not able to.
He said that it is critical that she doesn't get constipated again because she already had two surgeries, and he advised to change her diet to a liquid diet (like milk and vegetable broth). The goal is to keep the stools soft so she can defecate easily.
She usually eats dry food, wet food, and cat snacks. And this month, i added pumpkin puree, olive oil and parrafine oil to help her with constipation (on top of taking a laxatif), but she ended up being constipated anyway.
I'm looking for ideas on what to give her to eat. Can i mix her wet food with water (to make it liquid) and give her that? Also what are foods that do not cause constipation in cats or those that make their stool soft?

Thank you 💕

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you tell me a little bit more about the parrafine oil? I have never heard of that and thought it was a lighter fluid. Good luck and keep us posted. You might also try doing soothing things like playing Music for Cats. (Maybe she is stressed?) . My boy nibbles grass, which help him moves things along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you tell me a little bit more about the parrafine oil? I have never heard of that and thought it was a lighter fluid. Good luck and keep us posted. You might also try doing soothing things like playing Music for Cats. (Maybe she is stressed?) . My boy nibbles grass, which help him moves things along.
The vet suggested it, it is supposed to act as lubricant laxative, but i'm not sure if it had an effect on her or not. And she usually likes eating grass, so i'll try that. Thank you for the tips!