Lip Ulcer - Anyone have experience?

rocko_and_bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old male has been on steroids for 6 days now for what we think is a lip ulcer. When he went to the vet, she said just keep an eye on it if it is growing then it is probably an ulcer and he needs to be put on steroids which he is on now. Now some days it seems like it looks less noticeable and other days, like today, it looks like nothing has changed.

Is this normal? Anyone have this problem with their babies? How long was it there for? How long did it take to get better? Any tips/suggestions/advice would be appreciated. It isnt that big at all, but it's not just a sore as he has had it for a while now. You would think if it was just a sore it would have healed by now.

Also

He started sneezing today could this be due to the steroid because doesn't that lower his immune system?

Thanks!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Steroids do indeed suppress the immune system, however a lot depends on dosages. Has he been sneezing a lot? Runny nose/eyes? 

Hopefully members with some experience will soon chime in, but until then, here are some past threads on this topic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rocko_and_bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Anne - sometimes it completely leaves my mind to use the search function on forums. I was reading one thread and I had no idea about pet bowls. I will def be buying some stainless steal ones . Even if it doesn't help him, it makes me feel like I am doing at least something for him. 

And, yes, he's gotten a bit worse with the sneezing today. Now he has runny eyes as well. He gets these uri's alot. He's sitting right next to me on a chair I put right next to mine for when I'm on the computer. Poor baby. :(