Lip ignited, thickened and crusty

Dodaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I am very worried for my cat. I noticed that her lip is swollen on both sides and also seems to be a little bloody and crusty. I noticed this some weeks ago for the first time, however, it disappeared shortly after. I don’t know how long this will take to heal, but I will try to get an appointment at my vet for tomorrow. Anyway, it would really help if one could share their experience with me and maybe help me to get a little sleep tonight, as I’m very worried for my cat. Thanks a lot!

Pics:
0507B6D1-150A-46E8-9E5C-3BA4F4841454.jpeg
98CE6CEF-6066-4113-A793-AD6DC2277F33.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so sorry I didn’t see your post yesterday! I don’t know for sure, of course, but it looks like eosinophilic granuloma, commonly called rodent ulcer. I had a kitty many, many years ago who would get it regularly. In her case, it was the lower lip. The vet treated it with steroids. After a few months, it would return and we’d go through it again. I finally figured out that she was allergic to the teaspoon of milk I was giving her each morning. I stopped this treat (she was not happy), and she never got a rodent ulcer again! Hope it’s as simple as that for your girl. :catrub:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Tobermory! If you can figure out if you gave her something different food-wise when this, or the last, bout happened, that would be a food to avoid. Also, sometimes if food/water dishes aren't cleaned properly/often enough, the bacteria build up can cause rodent ulcers. The biggest culprit is plastic or porous dishes, but even ceramic or stainless steel (which are better) can have bacteria build up over time.

Other possibilities are allergies, such as seasonal ones, which could explain the spot going away on its own the first time.