Lion Cuts for long hair cats?

marlfox9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just brought in 2 new cats to our family with our two existing cats.  These 2 new cats are extremely long haired 10 years old and one doesn't clean itself to well since she is massively overweight.  I was wondering if giving them a lion cut would be a good idea to make them more comfortable in the summer.  My vet does lion cuts and given their age and size I am thinking it'd be healthy and more comfortable for them but i don't have much experience with cats who are this long haired they are even longer haired then my cats i have.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen Persians with the lion cut. How much it will help would probably depend on where the problem areas are and what the exact problem is.

Is the cat getting urine and feces on it's britches? Once in awhile my ragdoll will get a little feces stuck to her britches and the hair there tends to show a curl more than elsewhere so I think that may be due to getting a little urine on the fur. Although her fur stays white. She is good at grooming so I rarely have to help her out with a little wash. When she gets older I might consider a trim around that area like I would get on my shih tzu. 

Were these cats previously outdoor cats? When I took in my ragdoll she had been living outside and once I bathed her she was fine keeping clean after that. I do bathe her twice a year. 

How often are you brushing them? Are you having issues with mats?  It could be they just need brushing more often?

Do the cats spend a normal amount of time grooming? Lack of grooming can also be a sign of health issues or stress. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marlfox9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Couldn't answer these questions since they are still in their hiding phase they just started coming out a few days ago all I know for sure is our trailer is likely to get 120-130 on a 90 degree day and these cats are 10 years old and extremely long haired one is himalayan mix and one is a siamese long haired mix so they both have really long coats and I don't want them over heating being 10 years old if its safe to give them a lion cut I would like to do that for them since this will be the first summer in 3 years they have been on a level with sunlight.  They have lived in a basement for 3 years now and Im guessing that is a heck of a lot cooler then being in a one floor trailer.

Last edited by a moderator: