Lingering cat urine smell

bookworm19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My landlords are trying to sell my apartment building, and while my husband and I (nor any of my visitors) can smell cat urine in the least, this realtor can! If they are going to be showing the apartment, I need to fix this and fast! Any advice? I changed the litter, washed the pan, used a black light...does she just have the nose of a bloodhound? 

rollie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I write for a professional carpet cleaner and have learned much about urine in carpets over the past few months. Unless you can extract it all it will continue to make a smell. My friend has an attachment called the Water Claw (TM) that sucks solutions out of carpet clear down to the sub floor. He's had great success with it.  

You might try a professional cleaner who has the Water Claw.  

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you aren't seeing any messes with a black light, there is probably a good chance that your landlord is simply smelling cat and not cat urine. Have you washed your bedding, spritzed your furniture with odor neutralizers, etc? Pet odor in general tends to embed itself in any soft material.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there were any issues with cats peeing outside the box that you had to clean up, it's also possible you got the carpet cleaned, but not the padding or the floorboards. Nok Out does make a carpet cleaner. Perhaps the Water Claw thingy but asking the professional cleaner to use the Nok Out carpet cleaner?

And one other quick thought in addition to Momofmany's advice... I know you already changed the litter, but it might be worth switching the litter to Dr. Elsley's Cat Attract litter. Not only do cats love it, it has a "fresh" kind of earthy smell to it.... :dk:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bookworm19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, guys! I've not used Nok Out, but have Stink Free. It leaves a rather pleasant smell behind, in my opinion. I do like the idea of asking a professional cleaner to come in and use Nok Out, and I may investigate this after the holidays when I am more flush. Personally, I feel she is either smelling the cats themselves, or there is a very faint smell. Has Stink Free worked out for you all in the past?