Lime green spray paint tragedy

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My (RIP) Harley cat got oil paint on him before when he ran smack into a drying painting of mine when he was a kitten.

Pretty much had to let it grow out as I didn't want to put harsh chemicals on him.

Here is a photo of him with a red ear. At least it matched his coat!

(what was not so cute was the oil paint paw tracks going through the house)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I, and many of my friends who show cats, use Dawn dish detergent as the first step in grooming cats for a show. It acts as a degreaser and prepares their fur for the specialty shampoo. Be sure to use the Original Dawn. NOT concentrated, NOT antibacterial, NOT scented.

I also sometimes use Goop hand cleaner instead of Dawn for the degreasing step. It rinses out easily with warm water and I think leaves their fur feeling a little softer. I have no idea whether or not it will do anything to the green paint.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
is there any chance that combing his fur would remove some of the paint? it depends how fine it is, but I have combed paint out of the kids hair to lessen the impact while I wait for the rest to grow out.....It only takes the worst of it, and lessens the color depending on the paint. I'd suggest  a flea comb if you think it might help

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about just some peroxide on a cotton round & try & rub it out of the fur? Or, even alcohol?? Not so much that it would drip into his eyes, etc.. just enough to try & get it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about just some peroxide on a cotton round & try & rub it out of the fur? Or, even alcohol?? Not so much that it would drip into his eyes, etc.. just enough to try & get it out.
LOL

If I peroxide him, he would have a blonde bleached spot LOL

I think I would prefer to just let the fur grow out...

@ combing it- Tried it, didn't work.!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You want to be careful with commercial peroxide. When my nephew was a teenager he wanted to bleach part of his hair. He was at least smart enough to cut a little off and put it in a bottle with peroxide to see how long it would take to bleach it. He came out about half an hour later to show me the bottle. The hair had completely dissolved!